Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2014, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Do you record drums as separate Audio tracks or Midi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You don't with drums. Drums are basically non-pitched unlike say a guitar. Typical drum MIDI tracks have all the drums in one track. Look at traditional drum notation and you'll see what I'm saying.
So that's what I was trying to find out. So that's what I've been doing. As you can see from my screenshot. All my drum recording is in the first track and the output is going to separate tracks for each drum.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltrecords View Post
So that's what I was trying to find out. So that's what I've been doing. As you can see from my screenshot. All my drum recording is in the first track and the output is going to separate tracks for each drum.
Actually can't tell anything from that screenshot; too small.

QAPLA!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:50 PM

I use a separate midi track for each group or drums.

Kick
Snare
Hats
toms
cymbals

the using the midi editor ad make it so that each track has its own color for the nots on that track.. Then I can edit the whole kit together but really clearly see what note is from what instrument.

Then each track can have some velocity randomization or whatever is needed...

turn the tracks on an off in the midid editor if i just want to focus on one part.

Sometimes if will pull in a groove and then split it out to do editing for the particular song.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:24 PM

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I enjoy discussions on workflow and technique, I find them useful and applicable to other things, not just a particular instrument or plugin.

My mind still works in old-school mode where there was a clear line of separation between pre-production and production. Not saying that's better, it's just my comfort zone. So I try to keep the drums parts where they started until "production" time, where I print each part to audio tracks. That could be in a self-contained instrument, like Strike, or MIDI tracks triggering whatever.

One suggestion - forgive me if this sounds un-learned, or too complex: what about using the audio track to trigger other drum sounds or samples? I know this is done a lot with live drum recordings, and I have personally never done this - so I don't know which tool would work best, or how easy or difficult it would be to map to a particular library.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW View Post
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I enjoy discussions on workflow and technique, I find them useful and applicable to other things, not just a particular instrument or plugin.

My mind still works in old-school mode where there was a clear line of separation between pre-production and production. Not saying that's better, it's just my comfort zone. So I try to keep the drums parts where they started until "production" time, where I print each part to audio tracks. That could be in a self-contained instrument, like Strike, or MIDI tracks triggering whatever.

One suggestion - forgive me if this sounds un-learned, or too complex: what about using the audio track to trigger other drum sounds or samples? I know this is done a lot with live drum recordings, and I have personally never done this - so I don't know which tool would work best, or how easy or difficult it would be to map to a particular library.
You could do the latter but if you have access to the MIDI then why go through the hassle of finding good trigger points?

QAPLA!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:02 PM

Gotcha. I guess I was assuming that finding trigger points would e easy - I've hear stories both ways. My own experience is only with something similar, I think it was trying to use Beat Detective. With that, I was actually starting with a snare drum audio part, originally recording from a quantized MIDI track. And yes, it was a hassle.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:40 AM

Can I make track 1 the bass drum, track 2 the snare, track 3 the hi-hat, track 4 the first tom, etc... is this possible? I'm using e-drums as a trigger.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarkg View Post
Can I make track 1 the bass drum, track 2 the snare, track 3 the hi-hat, track 4 the first tom, etc... is this possible? I'm using e-drums as a trigger.
yes you can but start a new thread for specifics of your setup and needs.

....but, if edrums are the trigger then you can split the tracks is like POST #2 on this thread.

Multi out of the VI' to AUX tracks
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.