How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2023, 08:32 AM

Default How Pro Tools Uses Resources

Hi everyone,

I was curious as to how exactly Pro Tools uses system resources such as RAM, CPU, disk, etc. and why the optimizations are the way the are.

I'm wanting to learn so as to make better choices in hardware/software, to not make silly mistakes but to also help other engineer friends troubleshoot.

This is more of an educational request and not so much a problem. I tried looking for answers in the "getting started" category but I've either missed it or searched wrong. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm grateful to be included in the Pro Audio Community!

p.s. if this is a redundant post or if someone can find a thread with all listed information I will be happy to delete my thread.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:29 AM

Default Re: How Pro Tools Uses Resources

You can try taking a look at the Help Us Help You thread which covers a lot of general topics around optimizations and troubleshooting.

As for finding out exactly how Pro Tools uses resources, you are probably going to get a lot of assumptions, but only Avid truly knows and they have never talked about that sort of thing in the forums before.

Your best bet is to look at the official System Requirements, then look around the forum to see what people are using. What works best really depends on how and what you are recording and the size of your sessions.

I see you have been a member of the forum for a few years and have been using Pro Tools. What areas of your system are you looking to improve?

System Details