Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2002, 01:19 PM

Default OT: Vintage Microphones

Ok this is defiantly NOT an advertisement.

I was just wondering if you guys knew of a good place to buy and sell vintage microphones and other equipment. E-bay seems great for Audio-Technica, AKG and the like, but I rarely see “Classics” on there. i.e. old Neumanns and Telefunken.

Any help would be appreciated.

-drew
Old 07-13-2002, 02:25 PM

Default Re: OT: Vintage Microphones

I sold a ELA M251 E on ebay a while back. The deal went pretty well. I used a broker to help. I had the buyer send a cashier's check to the broker, who contacted me once it had arrived. At that point, I sent the mic (highly insured and incredibly well packed). After it arrived and was inspected to verify it was "as advertised", the buyer called the broker and released the funds... which they then mailed to me.

You don't see a lot of 251's on ebay because there's not a lot of 251's out there. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've only seen three on ebay.

You might see U47's, U67's and M49's a bit more often.

What are you selling / looking for?

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:41 PM

Ok, I was asked so don’t shoot me. I’m (unfortunately) selling my one good microphone. A Neumann M269c. Times are getting hard and I need to pay for the rest of my equipment. I listed it in the buy and sell forum here and at sweetwater. I’ve looked on e-bay before and nothing ever came up. (although I just checked and of course there is one now…)

If anyone is interested it’s under Neumann M269c in the Buy and Sell portion of the DUC. But, I’ll stop talking about it here.

Thanks,
-drew
Old 07-13-2002, 02:52 PM

Check Mercenary Audio. They sell used high-end gear. I imagine they get it from someplace. One of their guys (Fletcher) posts here occasionally.
Here
Old 07-13-2002, 07:24 PM

I think the reason you dont see many vintage mics for sale is the same reason you are looking for one, they are amazing! If i had a real origonal classic like a real Nueman U-47, which by the way has a street value of around $100,000.00 US because they are so damm rare and good.

My point is this, if you find a classic mic at a good price buy it, dont tell people about it until you own it or someone, me included may beat you to it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2002, 08:24 PM

I've seen a couple U-47'S for $10,000. Here's one for $7K:
Here.

I think the $100,000 figure may be a bit beyond typical market value.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:28 AM

I know a lot of people that buy and sell at www.digibid.com

I've never used it personally, so I can't give it a thumbs-up or thumbs-down... But I think a lot of people have had some good success with it.

Best wishes,
Sean
Old 07-14-2002, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vonbleak101:
I think the reason you dont see many vintage mics for sale is the same reason you are looking for one, they are amazing! If i had a real origonal classic like a real Nueman U-47, which by the way has a street value of around $100,000.00 US because they are so damm rare and good.

My point is this, if you find a classic mic at a good price buy it, dont tell people about it until you own it or someone, me included may beat you to it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">really!!!? US$100k!? you got any money? i'll sell the six i got to you so i can buy the house i live at in north fitzroy! hell, i'll even buy you a house!