Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 AM

Default Question regarding PT8 crashing

Hello all,

Last week my company did a remote recording of an orchestra and choir performing a piece at our local Basilica. We used a rack mounted Digi002 system along with a Presonus DigimaxFS lightpiped in to give us 8 extra tracks. So total of 16 tracks. We were running Pro Tools 8 on a MacBook Pro (Leopard, 2.4 ghz dual, 4 gig of ram). We were recording onto a separate harddrive, a LaCie external firewire drive. Halfway through the performance (70 minute performance) PT didn't necessarily crash...it stopped recording and it took awhile to get it recording again. I am just wondering if someone could provide me with some insight as to how to troubleshoot. For example, would there be anything specific in "Playback Engine" or "Disk Allocation"?

Thanks!

--Matt

[email protected]
Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Question regarding PT8 crashing

I believe that PT does not support or work well with recording or playback To/from an external drive, FireWire included. It may also have something to do with recording time or space restrictions within your PT preferences. (check Setup > Preferences > Operation - Open-Ended record Allocation)

Gl
2009 MacPro w/Two 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors - 6 GB - Mbox2 PRO - Pro Tools 8 w/Complete Production Toolkit - 3 x KRK RPG 6s, 2 x KRK RPG 5s, 1 x KRK 10S / T-racks 3 / Izotope RX / Wave Arts / PSP / Massey / Joemeeks / ARC system/ Snapper / Microphones galore
Old 09-21-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
It may also have something to do with recording time or space restrictions within your PT preferences. (check Setup > Preferences > Operation - Open-Ended record Allocation)
Unless there was an error message when PT quite recording, I'd place money on this being the problem. You might consider doing a "dry run", recording at least 16 tracks for the complete time, to troubleshoot and get ready for the next time.

There shouldn't be a problem recording 16 tracks to a firewire drive.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 PM

Curious. Just to check, is that RAM in the computer "Apple approved"? Just wondering since you never record (or playback) directly to/from disk, it always goes through RAM.

I think Postman is right, your prefs may have been set for 60 minutes which is the default.

Miwokman
Old 09-23-2009, 03:23 PM

Whenever I have done a live recording, I always test the system first for the duration of the recording. I was recording the Eagles live in Melbourne and that was 72 Channels @ 96k for over 2 hrs (which is almost the limit of the file size for each track, as no file can be bigger than 1.98 GB) though I doubt this in your case.
We use very fast SCSI drives, so recording 16 tracks to a firewire drive should be fine, I agree that the record allocation was also set to 60mins
Simon L.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleadley View Post
Whenever I have done a live recording, I always test the system first for the duration of the recording. I was recording the Eagles live in Melbourne and that was 72 Channels @ 96k for over 2 hrs (which is almost the limit of the file size for each track, as no file can be bigger than 1.98 GB) though I doubt this in your case.
We use very fast SCSI drives, so recording 16 tracks to a firewire drive should be fine, I agree that the record allocation was also set to 60mins
Simon L.
Ha! thorough preparation! That would require Pro Tools to be consistent in it's "moments" would it not?

Ach, I'm fairly drunk,