Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Default How would this have ever worked?

OK, called into a small production house mixing promos because they suddenly have pops and ticks in their audio laybacks.

Source is PT LE via an 002. The audio is sent out via the ADAT optical audio to an Aphex 144 box that converts the audio to AES. The box does not have a word clock or video reference input, instead it clocks from the AES 1/2 or Lightpipe.

That AES is then feeding to a Sony Digibeta deck which is clocked to a Aja GEN10 video ref generator. Sometimes they rent a Sony HD-SR video deck for laybacks, which they also clock from the Aja.

Now again, the 002 and the Aphex have no ability to clock from the video ref. According the the manual, if the AES is the source, the entire unit will clock from channels 1/2:

"The Model 144 has no separate clock input. However, the same word clock (either 44.1kHz or 48kHz) must be used for all the AES sources. Also, AES input channels 1 and 2 must be connected to the Model 144 in order for the clock to be derived for the ADAT output."

But these seems to only be true when AES is the source and ADAT is the output, which they are doing the opposite, so the clock source would be the ADAT from the 002.

So since the two devices (the 144 and the video deck) seem to have no way to read off the same clock (since the 144 and the 002 can't do video ref)-- I'm not sure how it could have ever worked. However they have several laybacks from this exact config they played for me - including with like 2 minutes of 1k tone that are completely clean and tick free... and right now it is popping and ticking like crazy.

Just for troubleshooting I tried a different 002, a different 144 (they had a second from when they used to have 2 LE rigs in this config), a different optical cable and different AES breakout cable. Although I'm still hung up on how it would have ever worked...
Old 08-12-2011, 05:47 PM

Default Re: How would this have ever worked?

AES out of the deck into the 002 and clock the 002 to the incoming digital signal

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Default Re: How would this have ever worked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
AES out of the deck into the 002 and clock the 002 to the incoming digital signal
This may introduce a delay in the signal, as long as it's accounted for, you should be good. At least this is the case with HD when clocking to AES instead of Video Ref.

My bigger question is how do they control the deck? I was under the impression LE doesn't support the Machine Control option. Are they using MMC/MTC?