Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2001, 08:13 AM

Default Aardsync or Nanosync?

I'm thinking about purchasing a master clock for my ProTools Mix+ system. Should I get Aardsync II or Nanosync? What are your opinions are both of these pieces? Thanks for you help!
Old 08-01-2001, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Aardsync or Nanosync?

Do a search for good info. Bang for the buck is the Nano....
Old 08-01-2001, 05:03 PM

Who sells the Nano I can't find it on an online dealer??
Old 08-01-2001, 05:51 PM

The Nanosync is a nice unit, but the fact remains that the Aardsync II is still the best master word clock generator out there. One big advantage the Aardsync II has is sound quality. Because the AardvarkII never drifts or fails, the timing is kept exact and to the point, no jitter. The result is optimum sound quality. The biggest two reasons to get the AardsyncII is accuracy and sound quality, that simple. Don't get me wrong, the Nanosync is a nice unit.... but when you pay a little more to get the Aardsync, you're getting your money's worth.

As Digidesign's largest dealer, I can't tell you how many PT systems we've configured with the Aardsync. And when you unplug it, you just can't do without it! It's simply amazing the difference it makes using 888's.

Hope this helps!

Brad Lyons
Sweetwater
Old 08-01-2001, 06:12 PM

There is an interesting articel in George Massenburg forum about aardsync vs lucid genx
http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/f...er=3&SUBMIT=Go

Worth to check it out

D.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:14 PM

There is an interesting articel in George Massenburg forum about aardsync vs lucid genx
http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/f...er=3&SUBMIT=Go

Worth to check it out

D.
Old 08-01-2001, 07:45 PM

Alto Music-845 692 6922 stocks both the Aard sync and the Nano sync-They would probably send you both so you could compare and take back the "less preferred" model-Judge for your self.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:02 AM

Thanks for your help guys! I appreciate it. Got another question... If I only have one 888/24 hooked up to the master clock. Does the master clock make that big of a difference in sound? Or is a master clock only useful when you have multiple 888/24's?
Old 08-02-2001, 10:50 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Or is a master clock only useful when you have multiple 888/24's?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mutilple devices on a master clock cause detioration of the clock signal integrity, but only when they are serially connected. Devices slaved to a master clock by way of parallel connection recive the same clock signal; that is no jitter is added by the device which appears before it within the serial chain. This is an over- simplification, though, as the master clock connecting cable affects signal intergity also.

Identical 888/24 units running in parallel from your master superclock will each enjoy the benefit of a more stable clock, just as one 888/24 unit would.

To suggest that the Aardsync is a "no jitter" clock in inaccurate. I find my Rosendthal Nanosyncs as good investment, but I'll admit to needing the six outputs which the Nanosyncs offered. I have done no comparison to the Aardvark piece. A test is described in the literature, though. A DUC search will give you more detail on that test.

Best wishes,

John Caldwell
Old 08-03-2001, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BradLyons:
[QB"]The Nanosync is a nice unit, but the fact remains that the Aardsync II is still the best master word clock generator out there."
Say's who? a sales man. THE fact is that any one of the three clocks people are stressing over: Ardvark, Lucid, Rosendahl, will work great and deliver the promise of improving the sound of your Pro Tools and/or other digital audio gear with clock imputs.
"One big advantage the Aardsync II has is sound quality."
Duh! All three do! That's the point. The reason they do is:
1. A good clock is expensive to make relative to all else that is required to make a digital product; ala Pro tools, an O2R, an ADAt, etc. The clocks that the manufactuers put in these devices work to the point of acceptabillity to get the product to market at a competative price point. If they built their clocks like the previously mentioned ones, then a lot of us wouldn't be able to buy as much of their gear because they'd have to sell it for more money.
2. All of these clocks make your systems sound better because your buying a better clock and it is now common to all of your devices: everything is in sync at much lower jitter.
3. That said, of course their will be differences. No two peices of gear, even the same model, ever sound exactly the same, let alone between different manufactures with different approaches/circuit designs.
4. But the differences between these three clocks is insignificant to the difference between having any of them or not.

"Because the AardvarkII never drifts or fails, the timing is kept exact and to the point, no jitter. The result is optimum sound quality. The biggest two reasons to get the AardsyncII is accuracy and sound quality, that simple. Don't get me wrong, the Nanosync is a nice unit.... but when you pay a little more to get the Aardsync, you're getting your money's worth."

5. Again...ALL three will do what our "Salesman" just stated.
6.Are you rich? go ahead and buy the most expensive product. You'll be happy, you got the most expensive one.

Now let me ask you this. Are you planning to do transfers from say, Analog 2" into a Pro Tools session? Well then, unless you want to run at 29.97 with ref'd to black, then deal with pull ups & downs ect.your not going to be able to use your Ardsync. It won't (correct me if I'm wrong) take LTC and generate a clock from it. Therefore, when you do your transfer with your USD, you'll have to reference your clock to LTC in the session setup; rendering the purpose of the external clock useless at the stage of conversion. That's where you want a clock!
7. That's ONE of the reason's I bought the Nanosync. It can do the afformentioned.It does more than the Ardsync for less money and makes all my digital sound great.
I was at ExtasyStudios(South) last March. They have a Monster Rig with ApogeeSE's and an Ardsync. But, even they didn't have it hooked up right. for the transfers we used the rosendahl. It "blew away" the ardsync on that session.
Beware of Salesmen and Magazine articles. They survive on selling. They get their imformation by more biased sources than just the people in the trenches who do it everyday for a living. Knowledge is not that which you have aquired second hand from someone else...it is only knowledge if it is aquired through your own experiance.

Don't take my word for it. Check out ALL the features; think of every situation you will need it for; compare price vs. performance.
I did.

"As Digidesign's largest dealer, I can't tell you how many PT systems we've configured with the Aardsync."

You've sold more ADATS than 2" also...that doesn't validate the ADAT over the 2" (OK it's a thin analogy, but...) "

":And when you unplug it, you just can't do without it! It's simply amazing the difference it makes using 888's."

I'll say it one last time: ALL three do that.

"Hope this helps!"

Ditto

Eric Greedy
Recording/Mixing/ProTools