Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 01-07-2022, 12:33 PM

Default upgrading protools first to perpetual

Hi all,

Forgive me if this question has been addressed elsewhere. I have searched and am still unclear as to how to proceed.

I am using an imac from mid 2011 (model 12,1) running High Sierra 10.13.3 with a Focusrite Scarlett.

I want to upgrade to a perpetual license but am not sure if older versions compatible with my machine are still available.

Do I need to get a newer mac?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2022, 02:21 PM

Default Re: upgrading protools first to perpetual

Hi Welcome to DUC

You purchase a perpetual license (https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...sku=DYNAP20000) or subscription (https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...ate=DetailView)

These supports the latest versions and goes back several years so should work with versions compatible with High Sierra. Compatibility info for you is here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

Before buying something try the free one month eval, I expect that works with versions you need as well. If not then you can buy a one month subscription to test.

You can leave First installed while you play with standard, but after a while you'll want to remove it, they don't play well together, especially if you add third party plugins to standard (and who would not?).

Either purchase will now include the Avid Complete plugin bundle and Heat (so if you currently subscribe to the plugin bundle for First you should cancel that).

You can also look around for used perpetual licenses, especially if you knew you were going to freeze the system as is and not expect to upgrade for years. I would discourage doing that unless you really know what you are doing with Pro Tools licensing, including risks of being scammed, and a very real risk you may not ever be able to update that licenses.

And as soon as possible plan on moving any Pro Tools First Projects over to Pro Tools Sessions.

And I'd encourage you to get a physical iLok and use that, just likely more reliable than cloud based iLok licensing.

When comparing perpetual and subscription costs make sure you understand what happens if you do not keep paying for support/updates on that perpetual license... the license will keep working up to the then latest version of Pro Tools, but you stop getting license for newer versions, and there is currently no way to re-up or catch up the license to get new updates. Avid just ended a promotion to let folks do just that, who knows if it will ever be back. Avid really wants folks on subscriptions.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:50 PM

Darryl has it well covered, but I'm not sure you get access to old installers with a new sub. Just something to verify, if an old ver is required..

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 01-07-2022, 02:57 PM

I *think* a current license activates back to Pro Tools 12.6. That's come up here in the past, but it would be great for Jeffro to confirm that.

As for getting access in your Avid.com account or Avid Download Center (if it's not already there) for any download that should be authorized that should be at most a request to Avid support.

The trial might not give older downloaders, try it and see, if not it's a request to support, or buy a monthly subscription (and possibly request to support if you still don't' have installers).

Non-Avid folks here likely can't give hard answers to this, few if any of us have tried any of the recent trial signup/download etc.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:33 PM

Unless they changed it recently, there is a difference between perpetual license and subscription when it comes to versions of PT. With my 2020 perpetual license I can run any v back to PT10. Not so with subscription. I don't have the details. Sorry.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Unless they changed it recently, there is a difference between perpetual license and subscription when it comes to versions of PT. With my 2020 perpetual license I can run any v back to PT10. Not so with subscription. I don't have the details. Sorry.
AFAIK that applies if you crossgraded up from older licenses, new perpetual and new subscriptions are different. You don't get Pro Tools 10/11/12.0-12.5 support. So there are actually three different cases to consider. But Jeffro can confirm.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:39 PM

New Perpetual licenses authorize back to v12.6. They do not include Pro Tools 10/11/12 licenses which authorize 10.0-12.5.2 (those are in the upgrade/reinstatement bundle). Subscription licenses authorize back to v12.0.