How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 PM

Thumbs down Re: Grid lines gone in 9.0.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster.fog View Post
Yeah, but the show grid lines button should show grid lines at the resolution selected ie 1 frame etc.
It shows up fine in grid mode, then select any other mode and there are some lines but like 30 seconds, which change when you zoom or out.
I'm seeing this too. Seems that the wonderful new feature of being able to see grid lines of a user specified value while in slip mode has been broken. Back to 9.0.1 for me.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Avid

Default Re: Grid lines gone in 9.0.2

This is actually a change to fix badly spaced lines.

You can view grid lines in Slip mode - just enable 'Slip + Grid' (click Grid, then shift-click 'Slip'). Set the grid to the values you want to see.

To move a region to the grid, just click drag it. To move it in Slip, command+drag it.

If I'm missing something about what you're trying to do, please detail further in your reply.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
This is actually a change to fix badly spaced lines.

You can view grid lines in Slip mode - just enable 'Slip + Grid' (click Grid, then shift-click 'Slip'). Set the grid to the values you want to see.

To move a region to the grid, just click drag it. To move it in Slip, command+drag it.

If I'm missing something about what you're trying to do, please detail further in your reply.
I've just reverted to 9.0.1 so I can't send you pics but let me explain the problem in detail (as I see it).

In 9.0.1 turning on the "Show Grid Lines" button would show grid lines on the edit page at a frequency determined by the "Grid Value" indicator (to the right of the "Show Grid Lines" button). This grid spacing was not dependent on the current zoom level and most importantly, was visible while in "Slip" mode.

<<NOTE: this behavior was seen by many as a revolutionary advance in Pro Tools that had been requested for more than a decade.>>

In 9.0.2 the grid line frequency does not seem to be affected by the "Grid Value" indicator. It seems to be affected by the zoom level (as it was back in PT7).

While your explanation of command+dragging while in grid mode to allow slipping does work, it's quite different than being in slip mode (proper) and seeing a superimposed grid of my choosing.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by poly915 View Post
I've just reverted to 9.0.1 so I can't send you pics but let me explain the problem in detail (as I see it).

In 9.0.1 turning on the "Show Grid Lines" button would show grid lines on the edit page at a frequency determined by the "Grid Value" indicator (to the right of the "Show Grid Lines" button). This grid spacing was not dependent on the current zoom level and most importantly, was visible while in "Slip" mode.

<<NOTE: this behavior was seen by many as a revolutionary advance in Pro Tools that had been requested for more than a decade.>>

In 9.0.2 the grid line frequency does not seem to be affected by the "Grid Value" indicator. It seems to be affected by the zoom level (as it was back in PT7).

While your explanation of command+dragging while in grid mode to allow slipping does work, it's quite different than being in slip mode (proper) and seeing a superimposed grid of my choosing.
My previous post will work the way you want it to - it shows the grid by grid value (not zoom value) and will work while in Slip mode (actually Slip+Grid).

Again, the change was to fix a problem with 'badly spaced lines' where lines would show (as well as values in the timeline) that weren't consistent across the screen - the first measure would show several lines/values, the next would show fewer lines/values.

The tradeoff was that Slip+Grid would need to be used to show grid values in Slip mode.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
My previous post will work the way you want it to - it shows the grid by grid value (not zoom value) and will work while in Slip mode (actually Slip+Grid).

Again, the change was to fix a problem with 'badly spaced lines' where lines would show (as well as values in the timeline) that weren't consistent across the screen - the first measure would show several lines/values, the next would show fewer lines/values.

The tradeoff was that Slip+Grid would need to be used to show grid values in Slip mode.
I'm reinstalling 9.0.2 to check into what you are saying; I hope you can stand by for my reply (15 min)
Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Avid

Quote:
I'm reinstalling 9.0.2 to check into what you are saying; I hope you can stand by for my reply (15 min)
I'll be here!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Sorry to tell my story with screen grabs, but if you look at these 2 pictures, I think you'll get a much better idea of where I'm coming from.
Also, to be clear, I must always work in "slip" mode and be able to place my I-beam cursor anywhere on the waveform without the use of a modifier key.

The scenario you suggest?:
http://bit.ly/epjcfR

The way I've worked up until now:
http://bit.ly/gT7T7F
Old 03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Avid

Quote:
Sorry to tell my story with screen grabs, but if you look at these 2 pictures, I think you'll get a much better idea of where I'm coming from.
Also, to be clear, I must always work in "slip" mode and be able to place my I-beam cursor anywhere on the waveform without the use of a modifier key.

The scenario you suggest?:
http://bit.ly/epjcfR

The way I've worked up until now:
http://bit.ly/gT7T7F
Thanks for the images - much easier understanding what you're trying to do.

I'll get back to you as soon as I can - juggling a few things at the moment...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the images - much easier understanding what you're trying to do.

I'll get back to you as soon as I can - juggling a few things at the moment...
I can certainly understand you juggling a few things; currently I'm juggling 3 flaming bowling balls and someone is about to toss me a kitten, but I need to know if I should revert to 9.0.1 or if you can correct my issue. Please reply as soon as you can.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Avid

Quote:
I can certainly understand you juggling a few things; currently I'm juggling 3 flaming bowling balls and someone is about to toss me a kitten, but I need to know if I should revert to 9.0.1 or if you can correct my issue. Please reply as soon as you can.
If you need to get work done right now, I'd say revert. I know, PITA! I may need to talk to those involved in this specific fix/change to determine what was done exactly and if there's a viable solution for you. The only problem being it's after 5 here and I don't know who may be around to help and I don't want to promise anything I can't deliver, given what I know.