Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 10-12-2021, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Carbon- Basic Questions..

Any way to mute headphones, instead of having to turn the knob all the time? #FirmwareUpdate

Rey
https://r-e-y.com/

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
iMac (Retina 5K. 27-Inch, 2020)
Processor 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
3.6 GHz Dual-Intel Core i7
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 10-13-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
Any way to mute headphones, instead of having to turn the knob all the time? #FirmwareUpdate
You mean besides taking them off your head ?
Curious what the logistical reasoning for this might be ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-13-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
You mean besides taking them off your head ?
Curious what the logistical reasoning for this might be ?
Seriously? You're going to challenge someone wanting a mute button for headphones, as if it's an unreasonable request?
Old 10-13-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Seriously? You're going to challenge someone wanting a mute button for headphones, as if it's an unreasonable request?
Seriously , are you going to try and put words in my mouth? There is no "as if" at all ,,, and no "challenge". Not only did I not suggest or even imply it was an unreasonable request.. BUT my simple straight forward question is totally reasonable,,,, as in,, I'm genuinely trying to imagine in what situation would a mute on the HP be helpful or desirable .. There is no judgement in that question..

Also the "taking them off the head " is what I do when I don't want to hear them and why I put it in question form and not statement....... But if that seems like a smart aleck question , then my apologies it was not meant that way

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-13-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:13 PM

I have a question.
I am using a plug-in called Ecoplate by “department of sound”. It’s a nice simulation of the real plate by the same name.
I have it inserted on a stereo aux return track. The Aux is receiving sends from various drum tracks. When inserted the plug-in adds quite a delay, latency …
Even when bypasses.
If I remove the eco plate plug-in from the insert then the aux track is perfectly in sync with the drums feeding it and working in parallel.
Confusing. My other busses with plugins do not do this.
Shouldn’t pro tool automatically delay compensate that aux track for the ecoplate plugins inherent latency?
Any help is much appreciated !
Thank you
Old 11-12-2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
I have a question.
I am using a plug-in called Ecoplate by “department of sound”. It’s a nice simulation of the real plate by the same name.
I have it inserted on a stereo aux return track. The Aux is receiving sends from various drum tracks. When inserted the plug-in adds quite a delay, latency …
Even when bypasses.
If I remove the eco plate plug-in from the insert then the aux track is perfectly in sync with the drums feeding it and working in parallel.
Confusing. My other busses with plugins do not do this.
Shouldn’t pro tool automatically delay compensate that aux track for the ecoplate plugins inherent latency?
Any help is much appreciated !
Thank you
Bump … any advice appreciated !
Old 11-13-2021, 01:20 AM

Darkwavo… why are you posting your question on the end of a thread about Carbon? What had this got to do with Carbon? Are you using Carbon? Is this plugin in AAX-DSP?

It’s considered impolite to spam other threads with kinda unrelated stuff, but this thread has been pretty trashed to death already, you will likely get better help starting your own new thread and also providing clearer basic info about your setup.

Questions about plug-in comp have pretty obvious questions, which you could provide answers to (people here cannot guess what exactly you are doing or how much you know) e.g. do you have latency comp turned on? What correction is shown in the UI, what sample rate are you working at? What is the expected plug-in latency/vendor specs? If you run this plugin in simpler routing setups does it work as expected?
Old 11-13-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Darkwavo… why are you posting your question on the end of a thread about Carbon? What had this got to do with Carbon? Are you using Carbon? Is this plugin in AAX-DSP?

It’s considered impolite to spam other threads with kinda unrelated stuff, but this thread has been pretty trashed to death already, you will likely get better help starting your own new thread and also providing clearer basic info about your setup.

Questions about plug-in comp have pretty obvious questions, which you could provide answers to (people here cannot guess what exactly you are doing or how much you know) e.g. do you have latency comp turned on? What correction is shown in the UI, what sample rate are you working at? What is the expected plug-in latency/vendor specs? If you run this plugin in simpler routing setups does it work as expected?
Hi hi,
I am a new Carbon user. I guess my question is whether I should increase the HW Buffer from 256 samples. Would this have any affect on the monitoring latency of a recording track when the DSP lighting bolt is engaged . Yes I have delay compensation engaged and I am running 24/48k currently.
I haven’t had any latency issues with other plugins by avid, Weiss, Cytomic.
Just curious if this is a common problem with certain plugins…

Thanks again
Old 11-14-2021, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Hi hi,
I am a new Carbon user. I guess my question is whether I should increase the HW Buffer from 256 samples. Would this have any affect on the monitoring latency of a recording track when the DSP lighting bolt is engaged . Yes I have delay compensation engaged and I am running 24/48k currently.
I haven’t had any latency issues with other plugins by avid, Weiss, Cytomic.
Just curious if this is a common problem with certain plugins…

Thanks again
How can you tell you're getting latency on a reverb plug? I mean, it's reverb, you won't hear latency except as some additional pre-delay.
Ecoplate is not an AAX-DSP plug, so you won't be able to put it directly on a channel and use Carbon DSP - but it sounds like you are using it correctly on an aux. Carbon cannot do delay compensation on native plugins when tracking unless it's an AAX-DSP. But I'm not clear if you're hearing latency while tracking or if you're whole track is delayed once it's written?

Changing the HW Buffer doesn't change the DSP monitoring of Carbon, only the buffer size for existing playback tracks (and you won't hear the difference, it's entirely compensated) and for Native VIs.

There may just be something wrong with Ecoplate that's screwing the delay compensation..

Dominic
Old 11-14-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
How can you tell you're getting latency on a reverb plug? I mean, it's reverb, you won't hear latency except as some additional pre-delay.
Ecoplate is not an AAX-DSP plug, so you won't be able to put it directly on a channel and use Carbon DSP - but it sounds like you are using it correctly on an aux. Carbon cannot do delay compensation on native plugins when tracking unless it's an AAX-DSP. But I'm not clear if you're hearing latency while tracking or if you're whole track is delayed once it's written?

Changing the HW Buffer doesn't change the DSP monitoring of Carbon, only the buffer size for existing playback tracks (and you won't hear the difference, it's entirely compensated) and for Native VIs.

There may just be something wrong with Ecoplate that's screwing the delay compensation..

Dominic
Thanks for the clarifications. Yes it’s causing latency on that aux bus even if the plug-in is in bypass. I noticed while playing with the dry / wet knob on the ecoplate. The dry sound was delayed like a slap, even when the plug-in was in bypas. The only fix was to remove the plug-in from the insert.. and the drum bus and aux locked into perfect parallel sync -. So it’s the plug-in I am suspecting as you suggested..
What HW BUFFER setting are you all using most commonly. Should set it higher (512 samples?) since I use carbons DSP for low latency while tracking ??

Thanks again !