Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-13-2021, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

For now, I would suggest anyone who has perpetual license keep renewing your support pland and do not surrender that license. Nobody knows how the situation changes, but for now I would do that.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:10 AM

They implied in the FAQ that the Complete Plugin Bundle is not part of a perpetual license with active support plan - is this a new stealth horror?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-13-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
For now, I would suggest anyone who has perpetual license keep renewing your support pland and do not surrender that license. Nobody knows how the situation changes, but for now I would do that.
Yes this seems like the right answer

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 09-13-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Yes that is my understanding also. Thing is, honestly I don't see a significant issue per se ???
Since it was you who let it lapse, you were apparently ok with it being frozen at the version you were on in 2020...........

You seem to be exactly who this promo is targeted at. You can still keep and be able to use your frozen perpetual version But you will also be able to subscribe to a current subscription update/support plan for $100 less than if you were to have kept current and renewed a (non lapsed) perpetual upgrade/support plan , at least for the first year,,, and then you can continue to subscribe at the same price as renewing a non lapsed perpetual upgrade/support plan (ergo I don't see an issue)

The only difference of course is your perpetual will not be upgradeable which apparently seems to be the choice you made in 2020 ,,,understanding I may not know your entire specific story, is you choosing to let it expire the situation ? Or am I missing something ?
Speaking only for myself. I didn’t really choose to allow my perpetual license to lapse in Feb 2021. My limited attention was 100% focused on cancer treatment at the time.

Last edited by yambike; 09-13-2021 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Signature reappeared
Old 09-13-2021, 04:22 PM

Sorry if this has already been addressed.

Does this involve an ilok license surrender?

I am showing the promotional pricing in my cart, just wondering if it gives you a new ilok asset for the 12 mo subscription?

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 09-13-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yambike View Post
Speaking only for myself. I didn’t really choose to allow my perpetual license to lapse in Feb 2021. My limited attention was 100% focused on cancer treatment at the time.
Sorry to hear that and certainly an understandable oversight. Being it was only just this Feb. , you might try calling customer support and see if they could offer some kind of reinstatement ? But if they don't once again as noted the annul renewal price is the same for a perpetual or a subscription with a $100 discount for the first year of of the subscription so there is that ......

That said : Most of the expired perpetual licenses were in fact self chosen, and most of those choosing to let it expire were simply trying to game the system by letting the license expire and then getting a discounted reinstatement a few years later, and saving some money over re-upping every year. That Avid put a stop to that, is pretty predictable and understandable .....

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-13-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
That said : Most of the expired perpetual licenses were in fact self chosen, and most of those choosing to let it expire were simply trying to game the system by letting the license expire and then getting a discounted reinstatement a few years later, and saving some money over re-upping every year. That Avid put a stop to that, is pretty predictable and understandable .....
Predictable? Yes. Understandable? Within the confines of being a publicly traded company, yes. From a user's point of view? Avid's contempt for their users is shameful, but it's been this way for years. There's almost always a "gotcha." At least their support department can still override and rectify the crappy behaviour on occasion....
Old 09-14-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Predictable? Yes. Understandable? Within the confines of being a publicly traded company, yes. From a user's point of view? Avid's contempt for their users is shameful, but it's been this way for years. There's almost always a "gotcha." At least their support department can still override and rectify the crappy behaviour on occasion....
Sorry but blanket pronouncements about "from a users pint of view" are false and simply represent your's or some users, views, not all users . Personally as a "user " who did re-up every year, I found the gaming scheme, to be the "gotcha" in that situation, and an inequitable oversight on Avid's part. And "Avid's contempt for their users" is also a subjective personal assessment.

Do I like all Avid's pricing policies ? No.
Would I like to see PT be less expensive ? Yes
Do I blame Avid for my personal choice to continue to use PT ? No

Do I understand why users who find "Avid's contempt for it's users shameful" continue to use Avid products, when there are other completely viable options of hardware and software ? ...that would be, Not really ....

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-14-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
...when there are other completely viable options of hardware and software ? ...that would be, Not really ....
Pretty valid point.
Especially with the new release of Studio One 5.4, which is an Apple Silicon M1 full native app now. Much more viable option, than PT as it stands at the moment, for people with newer Macs.
Avid lacks behind as always ....

Cheers!
Old 09-14-2021, 10:43 AM

I'm not clear on any of this.

My perpetual license (PT Ultimate) comes up for renewal 10/3/21

If I renew at the $299 promo price does that mean when 10/3/22 rolls around I am "stuck" with a subscription pricing if I want to renew?