Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Default Looking for 12 Node ribbon cable for Mix Plus Magma Expansion Chassis

I'm looking for a TDM 12 node ribbon cable for a Mix Plus system. It's the cable that attaches to Mix Farm cards in a 12 slot Magma Expansion Chassis. I know someone out there has one sitting in a closet somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. I've searched world-wide! Thanks - Alex
Old 10-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Looking for 12 Node ribbon cable for Mix Plus Magma Expansion Chassis

Buy multiple shorter ones and go to your local electronics store. (the geeky kind where you can buy resistors, leds and soldering stuff -- not the kind of electronics store that sells you ipads and cell phone chargers).

Ask them to take the connectors off the shorter cables and insert into a longer cable that they would be happy to sell you. That is really very trivial thing to do for anyone who has done any electronics. The connectors are easy to take apart without breaking them, just don't do it yourself if you have never done things like that.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Looking for 12 Node ribbon cable for Mix Plus Magma Expansion Chassis

I think this would be pointless, as, unless I am mistaken, you can only run 7 Mix cards

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 PM

I think it's 6 HD cards and 13 MIX cards

EDIT:
I was wrong.
http://akarchive.digidesign.com/supp..._Guide_6.0.pdf
Says seven cards whether MIX or HD
Old 11-30-2013, 12:59 PM

The biggest ribbon cable ever made for MIX was a 10-node. With a 10-node cable, you can run up to 7 MIX cards, and 3 DSP farms. Speaking from experience, I can tell you that running more than 5 or 6 DSP cards isn't really practical. The bottlenecks of a MIX system are TDM time slots and voice count. You simply can't make use of all of the DSP chips you have available once you run out of TDM time slots. With 10 cards, you will also likely be pushing the PCI bandwidth available on the chassis to it's limits. The best use of a 10-node cable I found was with Samplecell TDM cards. I used to run a MIX3, with 7 Samplecell TDMs and it was a very stable and powerful rig in it's day.

If you attempt to run 10 cards, I would strongly recommend upgrading the power supply of your magma chassis. It's just a standard ATX power supply, so it's easy to find a replacement for.

If you really need more DSP and voice count than a MIX system can provide you, there are 2 options, one is to upgrade to HD, the other would be to sync up 2 or more MIX systems using the USD sync box.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 PM

Great info. And what I said in post #2 is still true.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:53 AM

And to add to post #2, I have seen the tdm ribbon connector used in other applications before, I found a cable with several of those connectors in a bin at a used computer shop once. Unfortunately, no one at the store knew what the cable was from. But regardless, you can make this from 2 5-node cables one way or another.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?