Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2011, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Pro tools HD9 Run with Apogee ensemble

I am running a apogee ensemble with pt9 and at 64 I hear nothing that manfromspace describes. In fact the latency is great, not a hint of doubling. As a long time PT user and professionally trained musician I have no problems tracking. I used to track at 128 with no problems also. It's until you get to 256 is when it could be a slight problem. 512 is really tough. I think some of the people who have problems it has to do with user error. Some people track with plugins, and they do not realize those plugins sometimes cause latency.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Pro tools HD9 Run with Apogee ensemble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
I am running a apogee ensemble with pt9 and at 64 I hear nothing that manfromspace describes. In fact the latency is great, not a hint of doubling. As a long time PT user and professionally trained musician I have no problems tracking. I used to track at 128 with no problems also. It's until you get to 256 is when it could be a slight problem. 512 is really tough. I think some of the people who have problems it has to do with user error. Some people track with plugins, and they do not realize those plugins sometimes cause latency.
Hi Tribe. You should do a search for input monitoring/pro tools and see all the threads around the web about this.

Imagine setting 1024 and beyond. The buffer setting is pointless. You don't need to have your buffer down to 64. You don't need to care about latency from plugins or anything else for that matter. If you simply turn off software monitoring (like you can in Logic and every other daw out there) you're monitoring from the source so there is NO latency. Ever.

Outside of the pro tools world no one even discusses this. It's a given i.e. you turn off software monitoring and use your card's (Maestro for us) software to monitor from.

It seems as Avid created this super fast expensive hardware to handle the i/o to get latency so low you can't perceive it and got stuck in that world. The rest of the world doesn't need all this fancy gear to handle throughput. They just monitor from the source without latency at any setting.

The reason I bought PT9 is because I was told it would be "fully compatible" with 3rd party hardware. This is far from the case as it renders the software only partially useable.

If you're an emotive vocalist or a very expressive guitarist hearing the slight but very annoying buz in your cans (even at 64 - I a/b the mute and it's there) it will impede your performance. The last thing you want is anything but the sound you're trying to make in your headphones. Everything else, even an artifact, is a distraction.