Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2011, 02:20 AM

Default MIDI recording in 8.1.1 weirdness

Something really bizarre is happening since upgrading to 8.1.1. Whenever I put a MIDI track into record, all of the MIDI in the session goes out of time. It sounds like delay compensation has been turned off, but it hasn't. It affects all MIDI tracks, not just ones routed to the same instrument/output that I'm recording to. It seems to be happening in all my sessions, but I haven't tested thoroughly yet. I've tried trashing prefs.

What's going on? Is this a deliberate change in behaviour? How can I get it to stop?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:42 AM

Default Re: MIDI recording in 8.1.1 weirdness

Nobody? Am I really the only one having this issue? I'm really struggling here I can't record any additional keyboards on my current album. There seems to be no way for me to record MIDI without the rest of the session's timing screwing up completely.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 AM

Default Re: MIDI recording in 8.1.1 weirdness

Ok, with few hours downtime and a fresh test session I've figured it out. It wasn't all my MIDI at all, just my drum triggers. With them firing in completely the wrong place it just made everything sound out of whack.

My drum triggers are MIDI routed to structure, with outputs returning through aux tracks for external EQ and compression. With any MIDI track in record (NOT just those routed to structure, or even those routed internally at all) they are playing late by the amount equal to the delay compensation value on the aux channel. By disabling delay compensation on these channels whilst recording MIDI I can return the timing to normality.

I am assuming this suddenly started happening in 8.1.1 because of this 'fix':

Quote:
When using Delay Compensation and recording MIDI to an Instrument track while simultaneously bussing the Instrument track’s audio output to an Audio track, the recorded audio would be out of sync with the MIDI. (PTSW-56742)
When using Delay Compensation, recorded audio and MIDI now line up correctly in the Edit window timeline.
But I would respectfully ask Avid to readdress the matter, as the setup I described is hardly equal to that the fix was intended for. A case of 2 steps forward and one back I fear.