Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 02:51 PM

Default mesa boogie recto recorrding preamp

ive used all the pods and vox simulators and emulators im currently using guitar rig 2 which is ok ive been reading about the mesa recording preamp and sounds cool i play hard rock metal anyway i checked out some reviews and a lot of people say it sounds like a mesa recto except that the cabinet simulator is weak especially for palm muting etc.... my question is anyone have experience using this preamp with the pre off the mesa and the cabinet simulator off of guitar rig. i would think i could have the "real" tube sound of the mesa and the good cabinet and effect simulators of guitar rig. any experiences or opinions appreciated.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: mesa boogie recto recorrding preamp

I don't have guitar rig but I have had the pleasure of using the Mesa Boogie Recto Recording Preamp. I fed the preamp straight into my 002 and recorded it straight (no DI box). The way I have the preamp dialed in sound great but as with most Mesa Boogies, that is really the only sound I use. I've tried it with the cabinet simulator on and off. Personally I like the cabinet simulator off. I find the raw preamp better at cutting through the mix with less muddiness that the speaker simulator introduces. This is my taste and your miles may vary. How do you like Guitar Rig (1 or 2)? I was considering getting that to offer clients more options for guitar sounds. Most of my clients that are guitar player have their own equipment that they claim are their signature sound so I don't mess with it. I just try to mic to capture their sound. I just want to have some options if they want to experiment with the sound.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 05-20-2006, 09:08 PM

Some companies make Cabinet Simulators. I think Hughes and Kettner has one now. You could set the cab sim on the recto to 'off' and run it through one of those. Google them or something.
80 GB UDMA-100 7200 RPM HD
160 GB UDMA-100 7200 RPM 2MB SEAGATE HD
Old 05-20-2006, 10:18 PM

i own the mesa recto pre, pox xt, guitar rig 2, amplitube, waves guitar, ni guitar combos. the recto pre freakin rocks! i agree the palm muting i a bit weak, but really who doesnt double, triple or more their rythm track? it sounds really good, i doubt you would want to run it into guitar rig. maybe d.i. it and send one to the boogie and one directly to PT to use in guitar rig and such. i do rock, metal, stuff mostly instrumental for myself, and would not use any other thing in the simulator world. ship me an email and i will email you some clips using it. later,

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-21-2006, 12:31 PM

guitar rig 1 was ok i really like gr 2 but i like to try every guitar pre i can get my hands on. but most of them are like 3-4hundred the mesa is $1000 so im really checking it our as much as possible. in guitar rig 2 you can select the mesa sim and actually turn off the pre and just leave the cabinet which has a cool air dial that makes it sound more realistic. that was my idea for giving the recto recording pre more punch without another preamp in the chain.