How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Procontrol to Dcommand

Hi!

I know a Dcontrol would rock my world, but it's just plain out of my budget. I may, however, be able to jump to an 8 chan Dcommand. Are users that have made this jump seeing an increase of workflow productivity? Is it $13,000 worth of productivity. I know I need to sit at one myself, and I hope to within the next couple of weeks, but I'm just looking for specific thoughts from PC to Dcomm migrators.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

peace

mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Procontrol to Dcommand

I didn't pay for it, and we went to the full 24 channel version, but yeah, I would say it's worth it. It's just an easier desk to work with. Playlist creation alone speeds up my day so much. If onyl you could select alternate playlists from the board as well.

The plugin mapping is great as well.

Not footing the bill makes it a little easier for me to say that though.

HTH,

Iain
Old 02-23-2006, 04:38 PM

Thanks. That definitely helps. It is a tougher pill to swallow when you're footing the bill, but I also know I've shelled out a lot of money over the years for PT, and I don't regret it one bit. I'm sure it would be the same with Dcommand; it's just the pre-purchase cold feet I need to shed!

Keep those thoughts coming! I appreciate them!

peace

mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 PM

I like the D-Command. If you are in a location that would have a demo unit (i.e. LA) try and get one that you can bring in something you have mixed but can/want to tweak on.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-27-2006, 03:58 PM

>Is it $13,000 worth of productivity. I know I need to sit at one myself, and I hope to within the next couple of weeks, but I'm just looking for specific thoughts from PC to Dcomm migrators.<

The new features you get with the ICON controllers like Custom Faders, Custom Groups, touch sensitive knobs, the extra push button controls and LCD displays for the rotary encoders and faders, as well the dedicated EQ and Dynamics sections, will definitely increase your productivity. Another thing is the perception of quality and functionality as it's perceived by your clients. This is very important. Budget is always a concern, and these controllers are fairly expensive, but Digi has some leasing options that can help you get the equipment you need for not a lot of money on a monthly basis. If you haven't been using a control surface when mixing in Pro Tools, a D-Command will put you in a whole new ball game.