Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2022, 06:00 PM

Default headphones and computer speakers

hello, i have pro tools 12 and when i plug in my headphones nothing happens, no sound from headphones but sound with my computer speakers while headphones in jack. on occasional times the headphones will go on and sound. and no computer speakers sound while playing pro tools, the headphones work perfectly fine on windows media players.
please help if you can because its not right then i get aae code to. thanks
Old 11-06-2022, 06:01 PM

Default Re: headphones and computer speakers

sometimes static coming from computer.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:00 PM

Using audio device on windows is a bit tricky. If you don't have an interface it will perform poorly.
Check out Help Us Help You link at top of forum.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 11-07-2022, 03:04 PM

is it really audio interface because i used for 2 months no problem i could disconnect headphones and sound from computer speakers good back in forth but now only computer speakers work. please help if anyone knows what to test first. thanks
Old 11-07-2022, 10:17 PM

Sometimes Headphone output is different from Speaker output.

Sometimes, apps can switch. Sometimes they cannot.

Sometimes an app connects the two and allows easy switching. Something might have changed, and it isn't on that "setting" any more.

How are you using the app? How are you switching? I would totally expect crash or something if I starting unplugging wires mid session... Do you know that you should set it up, stick with a session, and not expect simple fast "plug and play" with a bunch of devices at same time? At any rate, I would suggest slowing down and knowing which audio device Pro Tools is currently set on, and be mindful if other devices/apps are trying to be active.

I mean by "audio interface" NOT the headphone jack.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 11-08-2022, 09:24 AM

Generally speaking, things will work much better if you use a real(separate) audio interface instead of the on-board sound card(this being true for any DAW, not just Pro Tools). Also, with all Windows setups, go into Sound Properties and make sure Windows is using the on-board sound card as its default playback device. This allows Pro Tools to have complete control of the interface for recording.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-08-2022, 08:33 PM

yes i looked on computer sound setting its fine. i. looked on i/o its set to the normal settings i even hit default to make sure, im just running it normal. no sound from headphones. i just wonder if i get audio interface will it do same thing. but besides for now i cant fix. while in computer the speakers work for computer and headphones. i dont know what to do next.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:12 AM

You're not supposed to get audio for computer out of the speakers AND audio out of Pro Tools.

It's unsupported. You basically have to use an interface, or you WILL encounter such issues. You can try turning computer Windows to "no audio device" and then try running Pro Tools.

If you want random plug and play and YouTube and PT recording, for example, not going to happen.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:19 PM

There’s a lot of poopooing going on in this thread in regards to ASIO4all. Oh come on! It’s perfectly adequate for on the road work with headphones and laptop speakers. It all comes down to what level of production one is attempting to accomplish.

The OP’s problem isn’t ASIO4all. It’s his expectation that it’ll switch from laptop speaker to headphone automatically because it worked that way in the past. The problem here is that he doesn’t understand how to use ASIO4all. I suggest he google up some videos on using ASIO4all so that he learns how to use it to switch outputs manually rather than expecting it to do it for him automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-14-2022, 05:45 PM

i understand, So pro tools needs adjustment with asio control panel..i will seek more and see a difference soon. thanks.