Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2013, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Whoever finds out how to do this - is gonna make a boatload of cash

I truly wish them best of luck
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
I've asked other companies about this driver issue and I definitely think this is not a technical reason. The most interesting thing is what the engineers from a company replied about the implementation of their products with Pro Tools 11:

"The module has always used HUI to communicate with ProTools. There is no other way we can do this. The HUI data is just sent over an ethernet cable rather than a MIDI or USB cable."

So the Control 24 can use the HUI protocol over its ethernet connection. Maybe this could help to make a driver?
What difference does it make why Avid is not producing a driver? They're not going to do it. End of story.

All third-party interfaces have used HUI to connect to Pro Tools because that's the only "non-Avid" protocol that is supported. That's the protocol used by SSL, Audient, Mackie, and the list goes on. Even my $200.00 USD Behringer BCF2000 can connect to Pro Tools via HUI and operate a number of functions.

Avid may use HUI as part of their proprietary protocol used by Pro Control, Control 24, C|24, D-Command, and D-Control, but there is one hell of a lot more than just HUI in that protocol.

I'm sure that souls have argued with both St. Peter and Satan trying to convince them that they aren't really dead. And they're probably having better luck with that than will the people who come on here trying to get Avid (or some foolish third party) to create a driver.

It's long past time to keep trying to beat this dead horse...the maggots ate him at about message #300...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Whoever finds out how to do this - is gonna make a boatload of cash

I truly wish them best of luck
Then they'll hand that boatload of cash, along with several more boatloads, to Avid's lawyers. And there still will not be a driver.

Please don't get people's hopes up again...it's a totally dead issue...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM

Like the drug dealers that are paying taxes right ? Avid's lawyer naw I don't think so - but since we mentioned Saint Peter - let's remember another one from the good book - "All things are possible to him who believes"

Relax Bill - I just wanted to wish them best of luck b/c I really would be put out if I had spent a ton of cash and now I'm stuck

Heck I get pissed off when I get a speeding ticket - Dang Phoenix street cameras
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 09-19-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 PM

I just wanted to point this HUI to ethernet thing out because Avid said how complex writing 64 bits drivers would be a lot code etc etc

I've always thought that HUI was MIDI only and I wasn't aware that it could work through ethernet as well. So maybe there could be a workaround for someone to write something for the Pro Control and Control 24.

We all know that Avid won't release anything. So maybe there could be a workaround despite the technical aspect. I don't know how complex it would be.

I understand that Avid won't release anything and I think that anyone could understand why customers want to say that this is not fair. That's all.

Unless you've already invested in HDX, I think it's fair enough not to upgrade. To be honest, do we really need Pro Tools 11? I'm on HD 8.1 and besides offline bounces and 64 bits for those who need large amount of rams, there's nothing groundbreaking just new cool little things not worth the money.

So for now, let's use what we have and in the future we'll know what to expect from Avid and spend our money more wisely.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
What difference does it make why Avid is not producing a driver? They're not going to do it. End of story.

All third-party interfaces have used HUI to connect to Pro Tools because that's the only "non-Avid" protocol that is supported. That's the protocol used by SSL, Audient, Mackie, and the list goes on. Even my $200.00 USD Behringer BCF2000 can connect to Pro Tools via HUI and operate a number of functions.

Avid may use HUI as part of their proprietary protocol used by Pro Control, Control 24, C|24, D-Command, and D-Control, but there is one hell of a lot more than just HUI in that protocol.
If this thread and replies bother you, how come you keep reading it?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
If this thread and replies bother you, how come you keep reading it?
And since the outcome has long been set, why do you keep posting to this thread?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM

Whether or not Avid releases a driver should not preclude folks from coming here and voicing their displeasure at the situation. There will likely be more as people who don't frequent the forums chime in. A lot of people including those that don't own one of these controllers believe this was a poor decision on Avid's part. Personally I find this forced obsolescence wasteful and shortsighted at best. The worst part, well I'm not allowed to say those things here...
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 PM

Absolutely. I'm posting because those who actually own a Pro Control or Control 24 could be interested. If you don't and the replies bother you, please unsubscribe. Thank you.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
And since the outcome has long been set, why do you keep posting to this thread?
Absolutely. I'm posting because those who actually own a Pro Control or Control 24 could be interested. If you don't and the replies bother you, please unsubscribe. Thank you.