Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 08-29-2013, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

Another bad analogy. Did Avid promise us the driver? Did you pay for this new driver to work with Pro Tools 11?

Unfortunately, they don't owe us anything otherwise you could fight to get your money back.

While I disagree with their decision, we can't argue that they are required to write this driver. We just want them to.
No offense but I think you are completely wrong. When you buy a pretty expensive unit designed to work ONLY with Pro Tools the company should do everything to make it work as long as technically possible with the only compatible software. If not what's the point investing in their units on the long run?

It's not like trying to use a PCI card on a PCIe slot or whatever, it's just a piece of software that for some reason they don't want to provide. Period.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:07 AM

So this Ebayer has been trying to sell this 1st gen Icon for a while now..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digidesign...item4ac89ab555

Anyone know how much longer before it's unsupported out of curiosity?

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Either way we're getting off topic. My apologies.
Yea I'm waiting for my weekly report from Kenny on the driver situation.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 AM

Off topic nothing - this thread is officially in the not serious conversation land for a few hundreds posts now

This is gear sluts territory now :)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
So this Ebayer has been trying to sell this 1st gen Icon for a while now..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digidesign...item4ac89ab555

Anyone know how much longer before it's unsupported out of curiosity?
end of 2014
Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

This is gear sluts territory now :)
AKA "The Audio Red Light District"

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
snip.... When you buy a pretty expensive unit designed to work ONLY with Pro Tools the company should do everything to make it work as long as technically possible with the only compatible software. If not what's the point investing in their units on the long run?

It's not like trying to use a PCI card on a PCIe slot or whatever, it's just a piece of software that for some reason they don't want to provide. Period.
A perfect summary of the facts.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Avid

Hello to our loyal Pro Mixing customers…

We can’t thank you enough for making Pro Tools and Avid Pro Mixing consoles and control surfaces your choice for audio production. But if you’re a Control|24 or ProControl owner, there are a few things we want you to be aware of.

As many of you have noted, we did not release Control|24 or ProControl drivers for Pro Tools 11. We’re sorry if this has impacted you and your plans to upgrade to Pro Tools 11 or Pro Tools|HDX. We would love to support all hardware forever, but the technology in these control surfaces is over 12 years old, and the time it would take to develop and thoroughly test firmware upgrades to meet current Pro Tools performance specifications would severely impact our ability to ship products and deliver the new feature innovations.

We released Control|24 in January 2001 and had a final sale date in December 2007, at which time we announced that we would support it for five more years. Since its original release with Pro Tools 5.1, we have supported Control|24 through 139 versions of Pro Tools—45 of which came after we stopped selling the surface (and not with a trivial amount of effort). ProControl had even more support since its release with Pro Tools 4.2 back in June 1998.

Both control surfaces still work with Pro Tools up through the latest 10.x version which can run co-installed side by side with Pro Tools 11 (Pro Control is officially supported up through PT8).

To my knowledge, we are one of the only manufacturers of technology hardware that offers its customers an upgrade path to newer hardware. We currently offer Control|24 owners the opportunity to move up to C|24 for $6,399 retail—a $3,600 discount off the retail price. We will honor this same upgrade opportunity and pricing to our ProControl customers.

Thank you for your support and understanding.
Tom & Avid Pro Audio Team

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 08-29-2013, 04:16 PM

Thank you Tom for your post, unfortunatley it won't make me spend twice the price of other PT users to upgrade my PT10 HD2 system with my Control 24 to a HDX system. To jump from one unsupported controller system to another which will be likewise dumped in a few years is frankly thinking we were born with more than a little bit missing!!

When many of us have build our studios around our centre piece controllers a C24 just is a retrograde step and I would think that that from Pro Control owners the feeling might be just a bit stronger!!

What you have done with the Control 24 and Pro Control users is shown that all your controllers have a finite life of about 10 years from release for updates. When you consider the investment required over this period many will choose not to invest, is this really the message you wanted to communicate. Sounds that you have just killed many potential sales just because you won't produce 2 64 bit drivers, so to save a few dollars you have lost ten of thousands.

It's a hard message in reply, but I hope you understand the strong feeling, the financial mountain is just too great for the miminal improvement.

cheers Scotsman
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM

Can any owners of currently-supported controllers (eg. D-Command, C|24, HUI, etc etc) confirm that they were forced to update their firmware when they first launched Pro Tools 11?