Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-09-2015, 05:26 AM

Default Blue Screen again and again!`

Hi. This may or not be a big issue, and I seem to be able to simply get around it by turning off the power to my equipment, waiting the prescribed 10 seconds and turning it back on,about every third time I shut every thing down, my pc blue screens! Is it something I should worry about or just another anomaly that there is no solution or reason for? If it truly is a sign of impending doom then why does just powering down and powering up make it go away? I'm on pt's 9, Win 7 32 bit. My current interface is a Project mix I/0but this also happens when I use my Scarlett 2i4. Any advice from experts ?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Blue Screen again and again!`

Sad to say but I think you're looking at the last days of that computer, especially when it starts going intermittent like this. Could well be a power supply problem.

QAPLA!
Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 AM

My computer was blue screening and I found out it was a problem with the RAM, I switched and reseeded the RAM sticks and that fixed it for a little while but I ended up sending the RAM in and getting new RAM for free and that fixed my problem.

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 09-09-2015, 01:10 PM

If it blue screens it usually means that there's been a driver error. Even more so if you're able to boot it while the equipment is off and it boots without a blue screen, then you should probably reinstall the drivers of your hardware.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-09-2015, 01:15 PM

Could be anything. Bad RAM could definitely be the culprit. A failing power supply can also cause all kinds of issues. The motherboard itself could have an intermittent connection. If it is something heat related, that could be why turning it off for a while helps a bit.

To start, try unplugging any cables, blow out any dust and reconnect them. Same with the RAM and any add on cards; unplug, dust and plug back in.

System Details
Old 09-09-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Could be anything. Bad RAM could definitely be the culprit. A failing power supply can also cause all kinds of issues. The motherboard itself could have an intermittent connection. If it is something heat related, that could be why turning it off for a while helps a bit.

To start, try unplugging any cables, blow out any dust and reconnect them. Same with the RAM and any add on cards; unplug, dust and plug back in.
This just reminded me of something - if the computer has a fan clean out all the dust bunnies in and around it. Also check to see if said fan is still running; if it's making any rattling noise you'll have to replace the fan. Generally fan rattling is the bearings going bad.

QAPLA!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 PM

And yes, constant BSOD points to a serious problem of some kind. RAM is one suspect, as is the power supply. I would at least open the case(with everything shutdown and the power cable unplugged), and reseat every card, all the RAM and any cables and connectors inside

But its also possible that maybe Windows has become corrupted. If you have been saving drive images, I would check the desktop for anything that should be saved(and save to any other drive for later retrieval), and then restore Drive C: from a recent image. If you have not been saving drive images......GRRRRR You may find yourself needing to reformat and start with a clean install of everything(ugh!!!).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-09-2015, 08:10 PM

You can use this app

The download link is near the bottom. Get the zip version, no need to do a full install.

It will let you view all your crashlogs. It is going to be a bit in depth, but if it is a driver, it will tell you. If it is something more complex (computer hardware) it will be a bit more cryptic and maybe not be of much help. but if its a driver problem, it should be an easy fix.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-10-2015, 05:37 AM

Thanks guitardom and everyone who responded to my post. Wow! I was scared that the blue screen was occurring so often. Now I'm really scared! It appears to me that this well could be a driver issue since I recently changed interfaces and did download the proper drivers. If memory serves it wasn't happening before I did that. I'm referring to the project mix I/o. If it turns out to be something else I will be at a total loss since I won't be able to understand the diagnostic analysis. I'll try cleaning everything first and if that doesn't solve the problem I think I'd better take it to a computer repair shop. ,
Old 09-10-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thanks guitardom and everyone who responded to my post. Wow! I was scared that the blue screen was occurring so often. Now I'm really scared! It appears to me that this well could be a driver issue since I recently changed interfaces and did download the proper drivers. If memory serves it wasn't happening before I did that. I'm referring to the project mix I/o. If it turns out to be something else I will be at a total loss since I won't be able to understand the diagnostic analysis. I'll try cleaning everything first and if that doesn't solve the problem I think I'd better take it to a computer repair shop. ,
Is this a desktop or laptop? And how recent is the machine? Whether a repair shop can fix it or not depends on those factors.

QAPLA!