Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Default Need help with M-Powered!

I have turned off all software updaters--as advised by Pro Tools. Now when I go to start the program, the Pro Tools software updater locks me out of the program. (the little icon bounces up and down beside the Pro Tools icon) I have to restart the computer, or go through the computer system software updating process before I can enter Pro Tools.

Also--is there a way to define your punch-in points when recording--or are is it only "on-the-fly?" (QuickPunch)

AND--are all Mixdowns REALTIME? Can you edit the waveform AFTER mixdown?

I have been using Audition. I really want to like Pro Tools, because it seems to be the industry standard. BUT--it sure has been a SLOW start. Any words of encouragement from the veterans?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Need help with M-Powered!

Can't really help with the bouncing icon. The other ones I can.

If you want to set up your punch in point, create a marker (press the enter key on your keyboard) at the spot you want and move your cursor to that point (or use the marker window/key commands to go to it (to a specific marker its period then number, then period again)). Then, enable Quick Punch. Enable the pre-roll on your transport (click on it) and set it to the amount of pre-roll you want.

All mix downs are in real time. The only way to avoid that is to select the audio you want to bounce out (must be a single track you are bouncing out, not a full mix), and do Shift-Command+K (this is on a mac...PC i'm not sure). But that will export the region in non-realtime.

I'm not sure what you mean by editing the waveform after mixdown. You can always import that wave file into pro tools using File > Import > Audio.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Need help with M-Powered!

Thanks for the pointers! Some of these things come to light after a little time working with the program. It is just a lot different from Audition---much better in most ways....some ways I'm not real sure yet.

Thanks again.