Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 07-07-2021, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Audient ASP880 in Audient ID14MKII ADAT Weak Signal

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. When I click on the launch setup app. It doesn't pull anything up because my ID mixer is already running. But it does open it when the app is closed however I always leave the app open before starting Pro Tools.

Also before I start a session I check my clock settings in the ASP880, the ID mixer app. and then set my session to match. I've attached some images for reference.

Yes, one lightpipe connected. I tired switching it out with another thinking it was a cable but no improvement.

I received reply from my open case with Audient support.

"The firmware changelog for the iD14 on our website refers to the iD14 MKI. You have the latest firmware for the iD14 MKII. We are in the process of updating our website with the firmware changelog for the iD14 MKII.

The gain difference you are experiencing between the iD14 MKII and the ASP880 is the normal operation of the units.

The reason why you need to set the gain higher on the ASP880 to get the same audio level is because the analogue to digital converter in the 880 has a higher headroom so you need to boost the signal more to achieve the same digital level.

This should make no difference to the quality and noise floor level of the pre-amps.

I hope this answers your questions sufficiently and if you have any further issues with your unit please let us know."

I understand why I can't gain match per preamp because of Audient's reply. But it still seems odd I can only get -25db with the ASP880 preamp all the way up when recording acoustic guitar. Maybe ADAT maybe it's me. Either way I asked if that was normal too per my open case.

Signal Path SM57>ASP880>ADAT to ID14MKII Pro Tools tracking acoustic guitar.

Thanks for all the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASP880 Sample rate.jpg (55.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID mixer sample size.jpg (39.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID system clock ADAT and Dig1.jpg (26.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pro Tools Session.jpg (40.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-07-2021, 01:14 PM

The screenshot of System Panel>Routing does show what I believe to be all correct, so I think you are good on clocking. As for levels, I have to admit I have no experience with the Audient lightpipe units. My experience with several other similar units tells me that ADAT(and pretty much any digital connection) either works or it doesn't as there are no controls to adjust the digital stream. One option that you might consider is one of the many mic booster units. Here are several:
https://www.adorama.com/ktmicbstrcm1...-gbase-p-audio

https://www.codamusictech.com/produc...RoCkVgQAvD_BwE

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

FWIW, I suspect the inexpensive KT unit will do a fine job.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-07-2021, 06:26 PM

I appreciate the response. Yes, I agree with the boosters. I might just try it with my Arturia AudioFuse line level in which bypasses the ADAT and all preamps.

I've requested a refund from the Reverb shop. They say if I can't prove the unit isn't fault per Audient then it's just not to my liking and they will not process a return. So I think that is what it is, not enough gain for me. I will test it one last time all analog when my other interface comes back from repair.

It could just not be right for me .

Thanks again