Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM

Default recording track question - newbie

Hello,
I am just getting started with Pro Tools. Our goal at the moment is to record some dialog. We have PT10 HDX with HD i/o and HDSync. One of the assistants I am working with is certain his sound engineers in the past were able to do something that we can't figure out so I thought I'd ask here if this is possible.

In our very limited experience when we record to one track it creates a wav file for each time we start recording. We can use those individual wav files or group the clips together in the track and do a bounce out to one file.

Our assistant is certain there is a way to record such that the wav file on disk is treated as tape. Each time you record you are adding to the actual wav file on disk so there's only one file per track at the end of the day without doing a bounce.

Does this make sense and is this possible?

Thanks for any feedback regarding this.

-Cablet
Old 05-03-2013, 11:00 AM

Default Re: recording track question - newbie

Yes, that can be done with Destructive recording. Right-click the Record button to find the available options.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:06 PM

I would use Destructive Punch over Destructive Record but you need to know total length before you start

I don't know anyone that records destructively anymore, kind of defeats the purpose of using a DAW
you can't comp the performance form different takes

if the output is just the edited comp and no effects look at Consolidate, it will take all the different clips on the Timelines playlist and merge them into a single file faster than real time

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-04-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post

... I don't know anyone that records destructively anymore, kind of defeats the purpose of using a DAW...
The only times I find that are beneficial to use destructive record are if you have a strictly linear file you are recording from beginning to end and want to have a completed file when you are done, or if you are updating a previously recorded file and want to keep the original file names and unique identifiers. Usually this would be in a re-recording situation such as a film mix where your sources are in other tracks and you can go back to the original if you wish. With data storage cheap, there's no reason to skimp on multiple takes. It's not like a 24 track tape recorder where you keep going for the ultimate take and realize you had it 10 takes before but you recorded over it.