Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 AM

Cool Very Happy PT10HD User!!

Very Happy PT10HD User, My Labor of Love for this platform! ~

Back in May of 2010 I started having some minor problems with my trusty Mac G4 Based Mix Cubed system, running PT 5.1 on OS 9 if you can believe it, which I have been using for music production nearly every day for the last 10 years. I also have a backup PT 6 / Digi 002R based system running on a MacBook Pro which I primarily use for Live Recordings, and has worked flawlessly since I purchased it. Since I use PT to supplement my income, I thought it was time to upgrade from the ground up. I struggled with choosing between the Mac Pro, and a PC based system, and as much as a Macoid as I am, I was reading on the DUC that more Mac Pro owners were having problems with the Newer Mac Pros, and I really did not want to hunt down an older used Mac Pro. So I decided to go the Windows route, using tried and tested components from hardcore hardware pro’s like Zion and filosofem, from the Avid DUC, I purchased the suggested hardware from New Egg and Tiger Direct, and built the system, installed Windows OS7 Pro and overall was impressed with how easily everything integrated, and just worked, so much so that I bought an entirely duplicate system as a backup. Ironically at about the same time Avid offered users of legacy hardware a trade up program towards the new Native Card, so I blew the dust off of my trusty old Digidesign P24 card, and sent it on in. The Native card arrived from Sweetwater a few days later with PT 8, which I immediately upgraded to PT9. I needed an interface, and found a great deal on an OMNI someone one in a contest, after just buying one, so he needed to sell it, and I was ready to buy it and got a great deal on it. Got it FedExed for next day delivery, and then I dug in. After about a month of tweaking settings, and experimenting with the hardware, PT 9.03 ran pretty solid, but had several bugs that I could not work out, on top of it all, I could never get it to run solid tracking or mixing with a 32 sample buffer. I toyed with the idea of updating the firmware on the Native and upgrading to PT 9.05 but knew others were having problems with the firmware update. Just about the same time Avid announced PT10, and although I was not eligible for the free upgrade, I took advantage of the Service and support plan for $599 through Sweetwater on 12/31, which included PT10HD, pretty much a no brainer, especially considering it comes with a free upgrades for the next year, (hopefully PT11 will be released before 12/31/12, and if all goes well, and the Mayans turn out to have been wrong, I will be styling with a 64bit version of PT) With the wheels in process for PT10HD, I decided to pull out the primary HD leaving everything intact as a back door, added a brand new clean drive, Installed a new OS, and downloaded and installed the Free Trial version of PT10, all the updated drivers, and add on upgrade packs for the PTEK, which by the way, if you don’t already have this, it’s a must have if you do any type of music production. Once again, tweaked all of the OS settings and updated all of the service packs and updates, booted up a session previously run on PT 9.03 and could not believe my eyes and ears. Not only did the system run like it was on steroids, it actually sounded cleaner on the top end and tighter on the bottom, which I totally did not expect. That was before I tried the 32 bit floating point setting and the Disc Cache. I loaded the same session into cache using 8 gig. I pressed play, and to my amazement, I could not get the session to even stutter, random access points, in and out, instantiating plugins in real time while session was running (50 plus tracks with D2 & D3 on each channel). I received my authorization code last week from my Avid, Service and support plan. Needless to say I will not be going back to PT9. ProTools 10HD Rocks my world!

I am a Very Happy ProTools 10HD Camper.

THANK YOU AVID!!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Very Happy PT10HD User!!

I hear ya Bobcats. I have been in the same boat sort of. been using PT since 7 and upgrading all along. Over the years I was impressed with the upgrades but not wow'ed untill I took the plunge with HD native and PT10HD. I have definitely been hard on Avid over the years but they stepped their game up on this one. I have been nothing but impressed not only with functionality and sound but ease of integration. My company uses it quite a bit to test certain gear and we need a very good interface that does not color the sound and reproduces accurately and this delivers. That being said I am using the Digi 192 i/o blue box and not the newer version which I may look into. Avid definitely delivered on this version.