Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-30-2003, 02:13 PM

Default Anyone Using The 875P Chipset And SATA?

The resident gurus of PC computers for PT LE (QuickDraw and Allen Hallada) have replied in another thread for which I again thank them here. But I was wondering if anyone has actually and successfully used the following combination for PT LE and a Digi 001 with either 5.3 or 6.1.

I'm looking to build a new system using the Intel D875PBZ motherboard with the 875P chipset, 800 mHz FSB, GigaBit LAN on the northbridge and RAID controller on the southbridge, using 1 gb of dual channel DDR and a P4 3.0 CPU.
System drive: WD 40gb 8mb cache 7,200 RPM drive.
Audio drive: WD 36gb 8mb cache 10,000 RPM Raptor drive.
Storage drive: External 80 gb drive with one partition to ghost the OS to and one partition to copy my .pts files to.

I'd especially appreciate any word about the Raptor SATA drive and how to configure it. I read one thread that said you had to run it in RAID 0+1 configuration, even though there is only one drive on the RAID controller, to "fool" it and get it to work with PT LE. Seems funny to have to do that.

Digidesign has yet to officially approve the 875P chipset for the 001, although they have for the 002. Here is Tech Support's reply to my question about that: "The 875 chipset seems to work well with 001s and Mbox. However, we have
not completed testing so they are not listed yet on the compato docs."

Any information is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-30-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Anyone Using The 875P Chipset And SATA?

Weed,
that was me with the foolin' I run the Asus A7V8X board with a 40 gig drive for the OS and App. An 80 gig drive for storage and backup, and a 80 gig serial ATA 150. It works very well so far. In reality though, the 80 gig backup drive is faster than the serial drive by about 6mbps. Not that much but it is faster for some reason. I run AMD so the Intl thing I cannot help ya on. But the ATA as a single drive does work.

Send me an e-mail and I will try to help ya with whatever I can.

-Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 07-30-2003, 04:10 PM

Doc,

Is your SATA drive a 10,000 RPM Raptor? I thought they only came in 36 gb size for now.

I haven't put the system together yet, waiting for some checks to come in. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I was trying to find out if people had successfully upgraded to the new chipset and drives. I guess you have. If I run in to any trouble, I'll definitely take you up on your offer of email assistance. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Old 07-30-2003, 06:59 PM

NO it is not SCSI. ATA 150..... 7200rpm though. It is still fast, just with a test that I run on it, it was not AS fast as the other drive for some reason...

Good luck,
Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 07-30-2003, 07:30 PM

Thanks Doc,

The Western Digital Raptor drive I'm talking about is not SCSI, it's Serial ATA 150 but at 10,000 RPM instead of 7,200 and still has the 8 mb cache. Lots of throughput for audio and it has a 5 year warranty. Info here:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/WD360GD.asp

Cheers,
SonoBus
Old 07-30-2003, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Weed:
Thanks Doc,

The Western Digital Raptor drive I'm talking about is not SCSI, it's Serial ATA 150 but at 10,000 RPM instead of 7,200 and still has the 8 mb cache. Lots of throughput for audio and it has a 5 year warranty. Info here:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/WD360GD.asp

Cheers,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The reviews I have been reading on SATA drives suggest that there is still some way to go yet. They still aren't quite up to the speed of good PATA drives overall. (The recent review I read said that one manufacturer had dropped the line entirely.)

The next six months should tell the story.

btw the machine you intend building sounds great. If it's only for PT though, you may re-consider the Athlon path and save a few shekels. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Best regards,

Haigbabe
Old 07-30-2003, 08:31 PM

The problem with Serial ATA drives right now is that there aren't any using a native SATA logic chip -- even the WD Raptor. Instead they implement the normal ATA100 logic chip and using a SATA to ATA bridge in order to put an SATA interface on it ... this degrades performance slightly. At this time there is no benefit to going SATA other than the better cabling, really.

By the time the next generation SATA is implemented in shipping motherboards sometime next year and we start seeing some native SATA drives, we'll finally start seeing some performance gains. I'm still waiting for optical SATA drives (CD-ROM, DVD) so that I can replace everything in one go.

Tim
Old 07-30-2003, 09:09 PM

Your setup sounds pretty good to me. I have the Asus P4C800 with a 2.8ghz/800fsb CPU, which also uses the 875 chipset. This is the best behaving setup I've ever had. I've used it with PTLE 5.3 and 6.1, with the 001 and a 002r and it does a very nice job. I really have not received any errors during normal usage. I'm not sure if this is because of the chipset or the Asus mobo, but I am very pleased with my investment. Honestly, I don't see how any other chipset or mobo combination could do a better job.

I also have a Raptor, which is a nice drive. Hard to tell how much better it is than the regular WD drives with a 8meg buffer. I figure the fast 5.1 ms seek time could be of benefit on a heavily edited session. The biggest problem with SATA drives, from my perspective, is that Norton Ghost does not support them. Ghost will not backup a SATA drive, and on my system I must actually unplug the power to the SATA drive during a Ghost operation, or my system will freeze and leave it in an unbootable configuration. I did a XP reinstal as a result of trying to backup. Since then I have found a Norton utility that will repair the damage to the boot sequence, so a reinstall is not really necessary if you have some problem. I am hoping Norton will fix this, but as of early June the problem persisted. I have not visited their site recently to see if there is a fix or not.

My SATA drive is connected directly to one of the two SATA channels. My mobo also has SATA raid, but I currently have it disabled in bios. It is possible to hook up drives to the raid controller in a non-raid mode, so they are still usable.

I love my system, and I think you will be pleased with the 875 chipset. If the few extra dollars of building an Intel system in not critical, I would highly recommend it.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

JPS, I went to Symantec's knowledgebase and here's a link:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/b59d9878ea7fdaf38825 6cf40072b4ad?OpenDocument&sone=ghost_2003_tasks.ht ml&stg=3&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=2003%20for%20Win d ows%202000/NT/Me/98/XP&base=http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/ghost/&next=ghost_2003_contact_tscs_sol ve.html&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=

They claim that Norton Ghost will work with SATA drives. You need to either make Ghost use the BIOS to gain access to the drive or update Ghost 2003 to the latest version with LiveUpdate. HTH

Cheers,
SonoBus
Old 07-31-2003, 07:43 AM

Thanks Weed, I checked out the link and it looks like Norton figured out the problem. I see they attributed this issue to the Intel 865 chipset and how it handles interrupts. I definately will be getting the update. Thanks again.