Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 AM

Default ProTools 10 HD natively with AccelCore Card?

Hi Guys,
switching back from Nuendo to ProTools, I'm a little confused about all the "new" product names 10, 10HD, HDX, 10 native etc.

My question is: Is it possible to get a ProTools 10 HD working natively with an "old" AccelCore PCIe Card and a Avid HD I/O Interface?

MacPro 4.1
2xQuad-Core Xeon 2,66GHz
26GB Ram
Mac OSX 10.6.8

PT 10 HD 10.3.2
1x Accel Core Card
1x AVID HD/IO

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 AM

Default Re: ProTools 10 HD natively with AccelCore Card?

It looks a bit like this:

Pro Tools (v10): Runs natively with your choice of interface. Basic version. RTAS or AAX Native plug ins

Pro Tools HD Native: Runs the processing and mixer natively on the host, but has an HD Native card required to handle the IO. Connects to Avid interfaces (or any third party that are compatible with the digi connection) and has full HD functionality. RTAS or AAX Native plug ins only.

Pro Tools TDM (HD and HD Accel cards): Runs TDM plug ins and the mixer on the card. RTAS plug ins can also be used. Connects to Avid interfaces (or any third party that are compatible with the digi connection)

Pro Tools HDX: Runs TDM or AAX plug ins and the mixer on the card. RTAS or AAX native can also be used. Connects to Avid interfaces (or any third party that are compatible with the digi connection)

If you connect your HD Accel core card you will be running a TDM mixer. You can use RTAS plug ins for native processing. But as with all versions of the TDM mixer (TDM and HDX) there are certain inefficiencies when you switch to and from the mixer and the host. There is more latency than you would have running an RTAS plug in on a native mixer, and thus more processing required on the card to process the delays incurred.

J
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmbeats View Post
Hi Guys,
switching back from Nuendo to ProTools, I'm a little confused about all the "new" product names 10, 10HD, HDX, 10 native etc.

My question is: Is it possible to get a ProTools 10 HD working natively with an "old" AccelCore PCIe Card and a Avid HD I/O Interface?
Jack covered the details well above but the short answer is no. Only 3rd party software can access the interface as a core audio device with 8 channels of I/O.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston UK View Post
It looks a bit like this:

Pro Tools HDX: Runs TDM or AAX plug ins and the mixer on the card. RTAS or AAX native can also be used. Connects to Avid interfaces (or any third party that are compatible with the digi connection)

J
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought an HDX system only ran AAX and RTAS?

QAPLA!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought an HDX system only ran AAX and RTAS?
I assumed he meant AAX-DSP.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 AM

thanks a lot.

So, to get more than 96 tracks I have two possibilities:

1. get a "native" card and run PTHD10 natively or

2. get a second accel card and run PT as a TDM-System
Old 03-26-2017, 07:53 AM

I know that this is a very old thread. But I think that finding my answer here could still help someone:

You can use your old HD audio converter (96, 192) connected to a HD TDM card (Core, Accel...) with a non-TDM engine.

The magic word is: Jack Audio. Jack Audio serves as a bridge between CoreAudio and Pro Tools.
Normally, running Pro Tools with a CoreAudio engine does not allow you to select the aggregated device "Digidesgn HW (TDM)".
With JackAudio running, you can choose in Pro Tools an engine for "JackRouter" aggregated device, which routes the audio I/O from Pro Tools to Digidesgn HW. Like that Pro Tools is tricked to use its legacy TDM hardware for I/O.

However, I could test it successfully only with 8 outputs routed to a 96 I/O.
When I try to also enable inputs from the 96, Jack Audio server fails to start. But I think this is only a question of configuration.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

MacPro 4.1
2xQuad-Core Xeon 2,66GHz
26GB Ram
Mac OSX 10.6.8

PT 10 HD 10.3.2
1x Accel Core Card
1x AVID HD/IO

Thanks in advance!
The first thing you need to do is upgrade that computer you have to a 12 core! If you look at my signature line, you will see I did the exact same thing.

It's a piece a cake, and after the upgrade, it'll match the specs of the current Mac Pro that sells for six grand. PM me if you would like some help with this.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-26-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
thanks a lot.

So, to get more than 96 tracks I have two possibilities:

1. get a "native" card and run PTHD10 natively or

2. get a second accel card and run PT as a TDM-System
HD Native only has two DigiLink ports, which means 64 i/o max. PT with 3rd party interface means 32 i/o max. To get 96 tracks you need either TDM (old world) or HDX (new world) system.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I know that this is a very old thread. But I think that finding my answer here could still help someone:

You can use your old HD audio converter (96, 192) connected to a HD TDM card (Core, Accel...) with a non-TDM engine.

The magic word is: Jack Audio. Jack Audio serves as a bridge between CoreAudio and Pro Tools.
Normally, running Pro Tools with a CoreAudio engine does not allow you to select the aggregated device "Digidesgn HW (TDM)".
With JackAudio running, you can choose in Pro Tools an engine for "JackRouter" aggregated device, which routes the audio I/O from Pro Tools to Digidesgn HW. Like that Pro Tools is tricked to use its legacy TDM hardware for I/O.

However, I could test it successfully only with 8 outputs routed to a 96 I/O.
When I try to also enable inputs from the 96, Jack Audio server fails to start. But I think this is only a question of configuration.

Hope that helps.
I wanted to offer a solution for the initial question: Is it possible to get a ProTools 10 HD working natively with an "old" AccelCore PCIe Card and a Avid HD I/O Interface?