Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2015, 12:45 PM

Default Re: So point releases aren't going to be free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by formento View Post
I can confirm to you that version 11.3.2 is available only to users who upgrade to version 12. It's completely illogical, but that's what it is. I've been screaming about this to Avid customer service (Matt) for a week now. His only response has been, "...that's the current policy. If it changes, I'll get in touch with you." And he's very eager to close my case.

It's a baldfaced scheme to squeeze Pro Tools 11 users into a perpetual upgrade plan. And have you seen the version 11.3.2 Read Me doc? There are dozens of bug fixes in it that they've stuck us with. I've never seen such a horrible policy decision from what I've always believed was a reputable company.

I hope that some of you will do as I've done, and phone customer service with your grievances. They need to hear about this from customers firsthand.
It's not quite true that 11.3.2 is only available to Pro Tools 12 owners. It's also been made available to PT11HD owners.

Having said that, the almightiest of almighty stinks needs to be kicked up over this. Avid 'spokespeople' on the DUC, including Tony Cariddi, Avid's marketing director, confirmed that .dot release updates to PT11 would be supplied for free.

Links to the relevant posts are included in posts 13 and 15 of this thread.

It is completely unacceptable for Avid to renege on the explicit statements it made in response to the questions raised on this exact subject.

The policy has to change, it just has to. Simple as.

Eventually, the decision makers at Avid will wake up to the fact that some numpty that they've employed has yet again taken a chuck out of its remaining less than stellar reputation and contrived to alienate yet more of its remaining loyal clientele.

Someone with authority will eventually come to realise what a complete and utter shambles its rollout and licensing policies have become.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-12-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formento View Post
I hope that some of you will do as I've done, and phone customer service with your grievances. They need to hear about this from customers firsthand.
Needs more than just screaming at their CS reps.

This needs to be taken public, to the press and social media. Nothing changes a company's policies faster than a bout a bad PR.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 10-12-2015, 02:39 PM

As an HD owner, I feel oh so privileged to have got the dot release in my account.

Wow Avid that is so kind of you, how can I ever repay your kindness. Ah...no I'm still not buying 12

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 PM

+1 for thinking that this HAS to be a copy/paste error, or something equally stupid. Even with the terrible circumstances we're in, I simply can't believe that this would be their policy. That would be suicide.

Or perhaps its just a horribly inappropriate attempt at humor?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:51 PM

The fact that it has not been corrected indicates that it is intentional.

The talk from some circles about how pro tools is such a small part of Avids revenue stream makes me wonder why they are sinking to such dishonest behavior. Really, is a few bucks more really worth the cost of integrity?
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
The fact that it has not been corrected indicates that it is intentional.
Not necessarily .... think of the months upon months of delay that occurs before students see their free updates, think of how 12.2 appeared in some accounts weeks before others.

There has to be something fundamentally wrong with Avid's systems for managing licenses, upgrades and roll outs in general. How they've ended up in this pleace we can only guess, but let's hope they figure out, quickly, how to improve things for the future.

I'm still hopeful that it's a rollout glitch, with people lower down the food chain inside Avid not fully aware or propetly briefed, which is leading to spurious advice coming out.

I myself have experienced, on quite a few occasions now, being told incorrect information by Avid, only for the correct information to emerge later, very frustratingly.

I still think that's a more likely scenario than a decision actually bring made high up that PT11 vanilla owners will not have access to the 11.3.2 bug fix release unless they upgrade to 12. It would just make so sense to mske such a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
The talk from some circles about how pro tools is such a small part of Avids revenue stream makes me wonder why they are sinking to such dishonest behavior. Really, is a few bucks more really worth the cost of integrity?
Exactly .... I think incompetence is a much more plausible explanation, though equally inexcusable when it results in many thousands of its customers unnecessarily waiting for an extended period of time to receive a bug fix update.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-13-2015, 10:17 AM

After the last webinar I was hoping that Avid had indeed had a serious rethink and were heading in the right direction. It pushed me into thinking about buying a plan before the end of the year. Even if i felt that I was actually being forced.

Now I have had time to think and now seen another one of these, frankly retarded, decisions, I am back to contemplating cross grade.

The take up must be really low on these support plans to strong-arm vanilla users this way?

Can anyone send me a link with the 11.3.2 update? I would just like to see if some of the bugs are at least fixed which might make me contemplate a plan once more time.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:07 PM

Hi,

I bought PT11 native in june 2014, so before they modified the plan.
I consider the Policy was to get all the dot (did i missed something?).

So, not being able to get the 11.3.2 is a - to me - a violation of the contract.
When they announced modifying the upgrade/licensing plan, i was still a less than a year owner... should i have bought ANOTHER license? NO, i considered i had paid for the 11 version.

I spent time and money on that daw, which is just a software like others.
I like it, but i'm sure i'll like cubase as much. I was hesitating between PT and cubase, i shouldn't have.

Now i have a 11 license which is already deprecated (so unsellable) because avid decided to release a 12 version fast, rather than correcting bugs on the 11.

If i understand well, i will never get a 11.3.2? am i right?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:31 PM

So is this legal? Have AVID breached an inherent law that allows all buyers of PT 11 free access to the dot releases too?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post

Eventually, the decision makers at Avid will wake up to the fact that some numpty that they've employed has yet again taken a chuck out of its remaining less than stellar reputation and contrived to alienate yet more of its remaining loyal clientele.
Hi Nigel,
I have always enjoyed and agreed with your fearless truth.
However, I wonder if there is another explanation for the monumental stuff ups that AVID are becoming expert in.

Let's take a moment to feel how it must be for an AVID employee? Not a director or CEO but a person a bit lower down the food chain. This employee could be forgiven for hating the direction that AVID is taking just as much as we users hate it. What course of action does this employee take when they are told to do things that clearly damage the reputation of the "industry leading" company they thought they were a part of? Directives that damage AVID also potentially threaten their jobs. Do they still brag to their friends that they work for AVID or do they now hang their heads silently in shame?

Is it possible that these employees are sabotaging the evil efforts of AVID or even attempting to bring them down quickly to get a new PT owner and a better job future? (It's a common thing for disgruntled employees to sabotage the business they work for, rather than leave.)