Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-08-2021, 02:29 AM

Default Does AAF export contains video in PT 21.3

Hei guys,

I am working on an unusual A/V project. I use bunch of videos on a timeline to compose a sort of opera. And I want to know if it is possible after everything is finished to export the whole project / timeline including the videos to a video editor (FCP, DaVinci, Premiere) for color correction and post prod.

AAF should be the solution but somehow videos are not included in the export, only their audio. And bounce to QT is not the ultimate solution in this case.

Anyone got experience with such workflow? Transferring AAF with video from PT to video editor?

Many thanks!
Old 06-08-2021, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Does AAF export contains video in PT 21.3

No Video in Pro Tools AAF export. That will probably never change.

Session Info export won't give you info on your video edits.
Best I can think is if you have audio that matches to your video (like embedded audio or you do an extract audio from each video clip (edited) and put it on a track), you can export that audio track as Session Info so you end up with a crude EDL to recreate your edit in an NLE.

If you do a bounce to QT with same as source, it's actually just your original (multiple, edited) video clips in a "mov" container. Many programs won't handle that import right (it'll only import that first clip in the container) but there is no degradation. However, if you do have a NLE that understands how to handle multiple video clips in one mov package, you'll end up with the same thing as an AAF video export. You could do that and an export of a marker track with markers at the edits.

If you do anything other than same as source, you are rendering into a continuous file which means degradation. It'll import easier into other programs though.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Does AAF export contains video in PT 21.3

Thanks a lot for the info BScout.
It is a pity that this function is not there. I will try to work around it.

All the best, D