Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 01-13-2015, 08:26 AM

Default Controlling EQ3

I'm a bit irritated about the mapping of EQ3 on the S3.

The order on the 16 knobs is:
LF - LMF - HMF - HF - HPF - MF(?!) - LPF - Input Level - Output Level

This order makes no sense, why is this not mapped in the same order like in Plugin-GUI? Is this a bug in my system? This can't be by design? Can it be changed somewhere?

In addition to this, how can I switch the type of Hi/Lo-Cut from the surface? And how do I adjust the slope of these?

Kind regards,
Domilik
Old 01-13-2015, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Controlling EQ3

i got confused as well I can't remember but changing the slope was either pressing "sel" or "in" at the freq. knob..just try them
Old 01-13-2015, 08:53 AM

Thanky you,

you're right, the in-button of "HPF freq" switches the type.

But I cannot find the control of the slope (db/oct). If I have a bell-filter, I can adjust the Q of this, but if I'm in Hi/Lo-Pass mode, I can not adjust the slope.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 AM

hmm was it turning the gain knob? sorry for the guessing around. was doing it yesterday. I'm back at the desk tomorrow and will try it again :)
Old 01-13-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplitude View Post
hmm was it turning the gain knob? sorry for the guessing around. was doing it yesterday. I'm back at the desk tomorrow and will try it again :)
That would be great! Thank you!!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:35 AM

Concerning mapping... I just saw the mapping of the filters in ChannelStrip:

Filt1 Type - Filt2 Q - Filt2 Freq - Filt On - Filt2 Type - Filt1 Q - Filt1 Freq

Totally weired. I had expected that they at least mapped their own "onboard"-plugins in a way which makes sense, before throwing this out as a new controller. With mappings like these a fast and intuitive controlling, even of their basic plugins, is just impossible imo...
Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM

this console needs plug in mapping. let the user do the job!
let us put what parameter we want of EQ Dyn etc on the top row and have that stored as a layout in EuControl... (I've made a post on Ideascale if others want to vote that up...)

and the display should tell you the values of the parameters in "writing" and not just a bar. a bar makes no sense telling you wheather a HPF is "in" or "out" adn you could see immediately what parameter you touch. on most EQs it doesn't really matter if you set a low freq on the LoMid or HiMid. if it just says the frequency in big numbers and the type in small letters above thats much better...
the top row of the upper displays is not used at all except on knob #1
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 01-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Avid

Hey Guys,

Plugin mappings for EQ and Dyn knobsets are standardized, so the same parameter type shows up in the same place. The arrangement is such that the most important controls are on the first 8 knobs as this arrangement is common to Artist Mix and Artist Control as well since they only have 8 knobs. So, that is why when you focus EQ you see Low, Low Mid, High Mid, High on the first 8 as those are the EQ controls used most. The second 8 are filter, mid band, in, out. This actually makes working with EQ and Dyn plugins more efficient because whether you use Channel Strip or EQ3 or something else, the parameter arrangement doesn't change. If you enter the Inserts knobset and access a plugin you will get an arrangement based on the page table the manufacturer created. This could be made to follow the plugin GUI or based on their own preference for layout of controls.

Press the 'In' switch on HPF Freq and LPF Freq knob cells to change the filter type.

The issue with parameter values not showing up on the OLEDs is a bug and only seems to happen in certain situations, so some users will never see it. Its fixed in the next version of EuControl.

Thanks,
Berkeley, CA
Old 01-16-2015, 12:55 PM

still it would be good to have some influence on the naming and position of the parameters.
On my system I had different names for parameters in ChannelStrip on PT11.2.2 and 11.3.
11.3. had Filter 1 and Filter 2 and 11.2.2 shows HPF and LPF.
along with the before mentioned mangled Filter Parameters...

That's just a minor thing, but it's an AVID plugin. I don't want to think about plugins from other manufactures...
I just tested Flux SPAT. It has hundreds of parameters... there's just a couple of parameters I need on the knobs, but I have to use the mouse, because it's quicker than stepping thru all those pages of parameters

sorry for all the nagging, but there's so much potential in EuCon and in the S3 hardware (if you own a label printer )...
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 01-17-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Press the 'In' switch on HPF Freq and LPF Freq knob cells to change the filter type.
...thank you, but how can I then adjust the slope of the filters (dB/oct)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Plugin mappings for EQ and Dyn knobsets are standardized, so the same parameter type shows up in the same place.
If the mapping is a standardized design, how does the mapping of the filters in ChannelStrip makes sense?
(Filt1 Type - Filt2 Q - Filt2 Freq - Filt On - Filt2 Type - Filt1 Q - Filt1 Freq)
Right now the freq of LowCut in ChannelStrip is the far-right button. And the freq of the HiCut is to the left, which seems odd. And, however, if the decision was to put Filter1 to the right of Filter2, why is Filter1-Type on the far left?