Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Default Problems with MIDI Playback

I'll try to make this as easily understandable as possible.

Pro Tools 9
MPC 1000
M Audio MIDIMAN 2X2

I have a sequence made in my MPC1000 and I would like to record the MIDI information into Pro Tools on multiple tracks (each sequenced track on my MPC1000 to a different MIDI track)

I have 6 MIDI tracks I'm recording simultaneously. All MIDI tracks in Pro Tools are assigned to their respective tracks (MIDI in 1/MIDI out 1, MIDI in 2/MIDI out 2.......ect in the Pro Tools MIDI tracks.)

My MIDI connection is out of the MPC into the MIDI in A on the MIDIMAN and MIDI out A on the MIDIMAN to the MIDI in A on my MPC.

I can record all MIDI tracks simultaneously without any problems.

My issue is, when I try to playback the MIDI information to trigger the sounds in my MPC for also recording the audio, it doesn't work properly. It seems as if all the MIDI information being sent to the MPC is all mashed and plays only certain MIDI tracks......almost like all the MIDI tracks are trying to play ontop of one another, not really sure how to explain it though. If I solo 1 MIDI track in Pro Tools, the correct information plays, but when I turn of the solo, everything gets all funky again.

All the sequenced tracks in the MPC are assigned to individual MIDI tracks.

Its frustrating. If anyone has any idea how to fix this or any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Problems with MIDI Playback

If you solo a midi track in Pro Tools and set up an audio track to record the MPC, you could just print each midi track individually onto its own individual audio channel. Not really a solution but more of a work around, hope that helps!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Problems with MIDI Playback

I experienced exactly the same phenomenon. Instead of the MIDIMAN I used a M-Audio fast track pro for MIDI connection between Pro Tools and synthi (Korg M50). A long lasting search in forums etc. gave me the information, that it's a hardware problem of the M-Audio. The recommendation was, always to use a direct USB connection for MIDI.
Fortunately my M50 has a USB port and I could connect it via USB/USB.
As soon as I did this, all the problems were solved immediately.