Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: To Upgrade or not - deadline:Monday, 30th .Opinions?

The perceived market value of your mix system is already quite diminished. The way to get most value out of it now is to keep using it, not to trade it in on HD.

Besides, you might be better off ($) selling it yourself, and buying HD used. (That's what I probably should have done years ago when I upgraded.)

Is it nice to work on a faster Mac? Sure. Is it nice to be able to use newer plugins? Of course. But you've already got a stable system that works for you. Unless you really need a particular feature in HD, I would put your money to work somewhere else.

No need to rock your own boat.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:44 PM

I already had an estimative of costs for the total upgrade of the 2 mix plus systems and 2 old adat bridges for an HD2 Accel an the 192I/O digital.
I was surprised to discover that 3 out of 4 of my cards are refurbished, so the upgrade ticket to enter the club is more expensive. And ne systems was bought new, closed in the US!

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
As a general piece of advice, if you can avoid it, never make investment decisions under pressure or out of fear. They usually turn out to be the wrong one.
How True, great piece of advice!!!!

I always wait for the smoke to settle then Buy used!!!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 04:41 AM

sure, you´re all right. But be aware one might stay with a few more "adats and dats" holding your studio door -lol!

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:41 AM

sure, you´re all right. But be aware one might stay with a few more "adats and dats" holding your studio door -lol!

Old 04-29-2007, 05:11 AM

Sticking with Mix4 and spending money on outboard. I have an Audient Sumo so am effectively mixing OTB with a lovely SSL buss compressor clone. Apogee Trak2 as my input back in. All URS plugs, most McDSP, Sony, EMI/Chandler, Altiverb 5, Massey are Mix compatible. What more do you need?!

I love the vintage retro Mix sound anyways! I feel a come back.....

Old 04-29-2007, 05:14 AM

Oh, will the HD upgrade make any difference to the end user that'll mp3 it and listen to your stuff on a mobile phone or iPod??

Old 04-29-2007, 05:18 AM

I would not update. You are looking at a LOT of down time for your studio. I would consider buying a whole new 2nd system when you feel you could afford it. Remember, the "new" system you are now looking at will be tomorrow's ebay special, when digi releases their NEXT system. Stay with what is making you money, only jump when you think you have to, not when Digi prods you.
I have 3 systems TDM systems, HD2, Mix plus, and original ProTools. All are useful for something. I also have M-powered on my laptop. Now THAT one is nice in that it keeps you current with the latest Pro Tools software without the expense. Each system fulfills a different need. I wouldn't trade one for the other. The mix system is a workhorse and you will be able to find hardware for it for the next 10 years.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:37 AM

I did update recently, although I would not buy new at full price. If my mix sysetm ran on a G5 I could have stuck it out, but the G4 was just too slow and I could not contemplate using a PC. Now with Intel machines you will be left even further behind in terms of speed and software. I kow my mix hardware still works and does a job, but I was missing out on a lot of extra features and plugins. Also the mix bus was a major issue for me. Funnily enough I could take or leave ADC though. I use the same channelstrip on each drum track anyway, so it's not a big issue.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 PM

Untill last Oct. I was still running AudioVision on 9600's for post!
Now that were on HD, business hasn't increased, but it sure is more fun.