Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-13-2005, 05:12 PM

Default weird playback problem with pro tools 7

hey all

i just upgraded to pro tools 7. when i loaded up an old session and pressed play and/or the space bar it wouldn't play.
it sort of moves a bit but then stops. no audio can be heard though.

has anyone experienced this yet? i have yet to uninstall everything and reinstall pro tools and do the update again. just thought i'd check here first to see if its a known problem.

ALSO...one small question. to save a session i usually press APPLE + S. i do it frequently in case something goes wrong. in pro tools 7 when i do it a save box comes up. this is a bother since it takes away the whole aspect of quickly saving a session. is there a way to turn this off?

thanks in advance guys.

cheers

powermac G5 dual 2.5 ghz
1 gig ram
80 gig hard drive
120g media drive
Old 11-13-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: weird problem with pro tools 7

I'm having the same problem.

I increased the playback buffer size and it sometimes helps.

I also chose 1 CPU for RTAS and this worked for a while, but got worse again and I've switched back to 2 CPU for RTAS and it always helps right at the beginning, but gets worse again...

Sucks to be on the bleeding edge, right?

I still have no clue why it was so difficult for Digi to test all 3rd party plugins before releasing Protools 7.

I feel like I just paid $75 to Digi to be their Beta tester....
Old 11-13-2005, 09:16 PM

Same here. re the non playing irritant.

the save box is because old sessions save in a different file format. once you've saved once, it will be in the new pt7 format.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:47 PM

for the sticking play button...I have to save, quit PT and re-launch. it's a workaround. I had this problem in 6.9.2 as well. usually when using a wrapped VST or a pluggo or some other wonky plugin. Make sure your plugins are updated to work w/7

for save dialog, do a 'save as' first into the same session folder and append the session name. It will save as PT7 format
Old 11-14-2005, 04:15 PM

anyone else have any suggestions for this problem?
maybe a digidesign person? nudge nudge.

and yes sometimes i do feel like a beta tester.

am i going to have to reinsall my older version of pro tools?

ugh.

powermac G5 dual 2.5 ghz
1 gig ram
80gig boot drive
120gig media drive
mbox 1
pro tools LE 7
Old 11-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Avid

Since no one has mentioned whether they've tried it, I have to start with the standard 'Did you try all the suggestions in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting thread"?

Also, make sure that all of your installed plug-ins are compatible? You should try removing them from your Plug-ins folder, restart and relaunch Pro Tools - if everything works (except for those plug-ins, of course) then it's most likely an incompatible plug-in.

If you are still having problems, please give specific info about your computer model, OS, attached peripherals and any troubleshooting that you've tried.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:08 AM

here's one for ya ---- digitechsupport

(i posted this in a new thread as well)

I almost feel to the point of throwing this 002 out the window.

Tell me if it is normal that when I get an overload error (-6093) that I should see the 1394 and sample rate lights flash off and on, sometimes a couple times real fast....

I did the clean re-install of protools yesterday, and everything was working fine, now the next night, im right back to where i started

I havnt installed or removed anything. Same project that was working fine yesterday all of the sudden wont work today (or any session for that matter)

Nothing has changed, except for the fact that I cannot even playback 1 mono track of 24/44.1

This is ridiculous..... Im seriously about to start a fight with digidesign if these issues are not resolved soon.

I tried all of the recommended trouble shooting again (except the clean uninstall/reinstall) and im still having this problem.

I absolutely cannot believe this software (PTLE 7) has been released to us in the condition that it's in. I am/work for a software developer myself, and i can say that without a doubt we would never release a software product in this condition. We are seeing far too many complaints about the application right out not working at all. This is absolutely ridiculous and completely unacceptable. What were you thinking digidesign? I will not be surprised to see a loss of customers from this. I myself am about ready to switch entirely over to logicpro if this is not resolved soon. I would have to get new hardware of course because the core audio driver for my 002r doesn’t even work! I get the same type of results in logic 7.1.1 as I do in ptle 7!!!!!!!! But of course when I tell logic to use the built in audio h/w with core audio, everything runs just fine. Absolutely unacceptable. Get your ***** together please.

Thanks so much for your efforts in providing such a great product.

PM G5 dual 2ghz (2nd rev), MacOS 10.4.2, 4.5gb ram, 2x300gb Maxtor SATA 16mb cache, digi002r, ProTools LE 7
Old 11-15-2005, 02:30 AM

Quote:
for the sticking play button...I have to save, quit PT and re-launch. it's a workaround. I had this problem in 6.9.2 as well. usually when using a wrapped VST or a pluggo or some other wonky plugin. Make sure your plugins are updated to work w/7

I have this problem too when certian plug in's edit windows are open, but i think u'll find it's only the space bar that stops working....clicking on the transport's play icon still works so its not too much of a problem. I think its a different issue to the problem that started this thread though.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: weird playback problem with pro tools 7

Have you gone to Systems Prefs , Spotlight, and diasbled the 2 checkbox short cut key commands that use the space bar?