Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-13-2022, 12:39 PM

Default No system audio through HDX card with Apogee converters

Hi all.
I have an issue I need some help with. Not too long ago, the studio I work at upgraded to the new HDX platform with Pro Tools Flex. We are using Apogee AD and DA converters clocked by a Big Ben. No matter what we do, we can't get system audio to pass through the HDX cards to our monitors. I've tried everything. Before when we had TDM cards and Core Audio, it worked. Now I understand there's a new driver called AvidAudioServer that handles system audio. Pro Tools itself works fine. We just can't get Youtube, Quicktime, iTunes,etc. to play through our system.

I'll list the specs of our system below.

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2012)
2 x 3.06 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon
60 GB Ram
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra
Pro Tools Flex 2022.7

Big Ben Clock
2 x Apogee AD-16X

2 x Apogee DA-16X

any help would be much appreciated
Old 09-13-2022, 01:39 PM

Default Re: No system audio through HDX card with Apogee converters

What does Audio Midi Setup show is the clocking for the HDX when Pro Tools is off?
The AvidAudioServer also configurations the HDX card's setup when Pro Tools is off. So with Pro Tools closed, open that app (in Applications > Avid > AvidAudioServer) and configure the hardware.

And finally, you know that you can't use the Pro Tools hardware for system sounds, etc, when Pro Tools is open? Pro Tools needs to be closed.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:34 PM

When Pro Tools is off, audio midi setup states that clocking is being handled by HD I/O 3 (Word Clock), which would be my first Apogee DA, and my main outputs 1-16 including my main stereo out 1-2. It also states the same thing in AvidAudioSserver. And yes, Pro Tools is always closed when I try this.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:13 PM

What is your speaker setup in Audio MIDI Setup (go to HDX, click the bottom choice that sets up speaker routing, make sure your L and R go to valid outputs and test there)
Old 09-16-2022, 12:23 PM

BScout, thank you for your help.
Here's my config
Clock - Big Ben

HD I/O #1 (HDX port 1) Apogee AD-16X
> HD I/O # 2 (HDX Port 1 Exp) Apogee AD-16X
HD I/O #3 (HDX Port 2) Apogee DA-16X
> HD I/O #4 (HDX Port 2 Exp) Apogee DA-16X
Currently, I have 64 Channels I/O. 32 Channels In through the AD-16Xs and 32 Channels out through the DA-16Xs. In sequence in Audio Midi setup, my outputs should be channels 33 and 34. That's how we route em when Pro Tools is running. I've selected 33, 34 as my stereo outs in speaker setup but nothing is hitting the converters yet that way. I've tried to set the clock in Audio Midi setup and AvidAudioServer as internal as well as word clock, and made sure the settings inside either program matched what Big Ben and the converters were set to. Nothing yet.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:58 PM

So far most people have had to have some workarounds routing system audio (external to PT interface) into session, but who knows if that changes one day.

When it comes to ADAT, it carries the clock to the direction of audio. So if you are looking for a single cable solution you need to set PT to lock to external clock of your host computer. If you find a way to send clocking from PT to your host computer, then the host computer may be able to lock into PT clock.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:43 PM

This isn't a clocking issue. Certain third party interfaces that emulated the Digidesign 192 have had problems with the Avid CoreAudio drivers. Unfortunately, your units are probably one of those. In most cases, the first 32 worked (port 1.) You could consider flipping your AD and DA stack so the DA is first.

But to rule anything else out: what clock fs are your running (48kHz)?
What version of the Avid HDX drivers (since that's what installs the CoreAudio drivers)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneshell View Post
BScout, thank you for your help.
Here's my config
Clock - Big Ben

HD I/O #1 (HDX port 1) Apogee AD-16X
> HD I/O # 2 (HDX Port 1 Exp) Apogee AD-16X
HD I/O #3 (HDX Port 2) Apogee DA-16X
> HD I/O #4 (HDX Port 2 Exp) Apogee DA-16X
Currently, I have 64 Channels I/O. 32 Channels In through the AD-16Xs and 32 Channels out through the DA-16Xs. In sequence in Audio Midi setup, my outputs should be channels 33 and 34. That's how we route em when Pro Tools is running. I've selected 33, 34 as my stereo outs in speaker setup but nothing is hitting the converters yet that way. I've tried to set the clock in Audio Midi setup and AvidAudioServer as internal as well as word clock, and made sure the settings inside either program matched what Big Ben and the converters were set to. Nothing yet.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:01 PM

Hey, don't have any brilliant advice. I upgraded from HD2 Accel to an HDX card on a flashed Mac Pro 5,1 cheesegrater a year and a half ago. I had been using 1 AD16X and DA16X as my main interface for many years. When I upgraded to the new rig I got an Avid HD IO 8x8. I had wanted to run the Avid as one interface and continue to use the Apogees. I couldn't get them both to work on Pro Tools 2021.6 (which is what I am still on). The Apogees worked as a standalone interface, the only interface. But when I tried to run both the Apogees and the HD IO, I would either get weird clicks and pops, or the Apogees just wouldn't been "seen" at all, no matter how I tried to configure things. So the Apogees went into a closet and I upgraded to an HD IO 16x16 and it's been smooth sailing since then. I prefer the sound of the HD I/O actually. And it integrates so much more tightly. I never trusted delay compensation with the Apogees.
The obvious question is - you are using X-HD cards, correct? Do you know that you have the latest firmware that lets Pro Tools see them as HD IO and not 192 IO? I think the last firmware for the X-HD was v3.0
Old 09-23-2022, 02:03 PM

Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I'm just gonna call it at this point. I did switch the ports so that the DAs were on port 1 and my output would be speaker 1 & 2 but still nothing. We were hoping to make it easier to listen to our stereo bounces through iTunes or get audio from Youtube or anywhere from the net through our system, but our setup just doesn't want us to. We can hear stereo bounces through PTs import audio menu, so there is that. And Pro Tools itself works fine. One day we'll move on to newer interfaces.
Cheers, everybody
Old 09-23-2022, 03:31 PM

Reading this thread again, I notice your system specs are incompatible. As in not supported, but with a magic wand you can possibly get it working. With luck.

Specifically 2022.07 is not supported with High Sierra. Not even Mojave, it is untested but Avid does not expect problems. You need to upgrade to Catalina or newer to be on the safe side.