How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2022, 07:21 AM

Default Help Request - Linking/Grouping clips across playlists

Hi all,

I'm currently comping together dialog and sfx for a short film. I have set up playlists to quickly scroll between all dx takes or sfx so I can quickly preview them with the director and play alts if requested.

The problem I am having is that when I get back new cuts, and timing has changed, I have to move every clip across all playlists on the track.

Is there a way to group all of the clips across the playlists so that when I move a clip in the targeted playlist along the timeline, all of the alts in the other playlists move as well and stay in sync?

Thanks for any help.

- et
Old 09-23-2022, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Help Request - Linking/Grouping clips across playlists

Nope.

Only option is to be in playlist view and highlight all the playlists together (making sure you don't de-select your selection by accident at any point)
Old 09-23-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm_etienne View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently comping together dialog and sfx for a short film. I have set up playlists to quickly scroll between all dx takes or sfx so I can quickly preview them with the director and play alts if requested.

The problem I am having is that when I get back new cuts, and timing has changed, I have to move every clip across all playlists on the track.

Is there a way to group all of the clips across the playlists so that when I move a clip in the targeted playlist along the timeline, all of the alts in the other playlists move as well and stay in sync?

Thanks for any help.

- et

Yes I'd like to be able to do that too.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-26-2022, 06:37 AM

So I found a weird workaround, but it's clearly a bug exploit *cough* I mean a feature.

Steps are:

- Create your main playlist track
- Duplicate this playlist until you have enough tracks for all of your clips
- Move all of your clips into the playlist tracks
- Select the main edit playlist track and create a group cmd+g
- Change group type to Edit
- Select the track name under Currently in Group column
- Click Remove
- Find the same track under the Available column
- Click Replace

Once you click replace, as long as there are clips in the other playlists, those playlist tracks will show up under the Available column and can then be added into the group.

- Add playlist tracks
- Click OK

Unfortunately, once you are back in your edit window, if you change your main playlist back to Waveform, all of the playlists are removed from your group. So you do still have to work with all of the playlists visible, but you don't have to select everything. Also, once you save and exit the playlist tracks are also wipe out, so once you load the project up again you have to add those playlist tracks back to the groups...

How this isn't a fully functioning feature that allows for the grouping to maintain its integrity while in waveform view, i do not understand. This would be extremely useful in so many ways.

Hope this helps. If anyone discovers any other ways to do this, I would love to hear about it!

Last edited by calm_etienne; 09-26-2022 at 06:59 AM.