Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-23-2024, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Issue when Importing a .MOV file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
That is actually not true. H264 doesn't mean lower quality. It means more compressed.
You can have H264 HD video as I get it all the time. It is just very CPU hungry as the decompression takes a lot of power.
And why Apple Silicon put in an H264/5 engine into the chip so it would leave the CPU alone.

I actually backup my shows from the DNX36 to H264 for space saving, roughly 15 gigs, and have re encoded it to DNX36 with no picture loss.

And if going into MC, it will likely convert it anyway.
I said probably and that IS true, particularly if GOP. HD does not denote quality and actually does not denote resolution(only frame size), but that's another discussion:-)
Houston, TX
Old 05-23-2024, 12:43 PM

First I am not real video tech minded (so bare that in mind)
But for my music video productions I use both an older iPhone 10 S and a newer iPhone 15 Pro max (for a multi cam video )

Now video from either of these phones I can drag into PT Ultimate on my studio machine (listed below) And both play fine (with the one caveat that about 1/2 the time the video appears upside down in the Edit window lane BUT plays in the video viewer window, right side up

However both the audio and video play fine .
I have Both Phones on iOS 17 (17.2 on the 15 pro and 17.0.3 on the 10 S) and when I import the videos to Photos then export to desk top.
The Get Info tabs say ( Timed Metadata, MPEG-4 AAC, H264) from both phones

Don't know if that helps or not just what I am doing with no playback issues

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-23-2024, 12:53 PM

Yes, Thank you, AudioLex1. Shutter Encoder works perfectly.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
The Get Info tabs say ( Timed Metadata, MPEG-4 AAC, H264) from both phones
Those are friendly protocols so they should play nice with PT. The OP likely has other formats.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infohou View Post
I said probably and that IS true, particularly if GOP. HD does not denote quality and actually does not denote resolution(only frame size), but that's another discussion
Maybe there is then on the video side with Calibrated monitors, and high end video output cards.

But this is pro tools. If there is a difference, we aren't seeing it. At least I am not.

I just finished a series and often because of time, the AE would send an H264 output because it was smaller and getting material to us faster was important.
Ironically, there was no Metadata info in the Get Info even though it came from MC.

I would take that H264 into Shutter Encoder and turn it into a DNX36.
In fact, I just put the H264 and the DNX36 into Pro Tools and compared using Shift+J.

There is no quality degradation. They look the same.

Maybe it is different like I said when it comes into a MC system and it is obvious. I don't know what iPhone Pro setting are, I'm sure there is other video options, but on mine there is Efficiency and Normal.
HEV or whatever it was called, and H264.

I am set to efficiency on my iPhone. I sent myself a video. Automatically converted to H264. I looked at some video files that I had transfer directly from the iPhone and there is no info in the Get Info, but I assume it is H264 much like the one I got from the AE on my show.

And H264 supports 8k, but you know that.
Almost every plugin
Old 05-24-2024, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Those are friendly protocols so they should play nice with PT. The OP likely has other formats.
Other Formats Ok but I was just noting what I get importing directly from iPone to desktop and then into PT which I thought is what the OP was doing ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-24-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Other Formats Ok but I was just noting what I get importing directly from iPone to desktop and then into PT which I thought is what the OP was doing ?
I was more or less just expanding on what you'd said, not questioning it. Since the iPhone seems to have used a couple different formats over the years it's worth mentioning that one might be easier to work with than another. I've not done much of this iphone importing personally so I'm going by the formats the phone uses and what PT likes and what it has trouble with.
Old 05-25-2024, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I was more or less just expanding on what you'd said, not questioning it. Since the iPhone seems to have used a couple different formats over the years it's worth mentioning that one might be easier to work with than another. I've not done much of this iphone importing personally so I'm going by the formats the phone uses and what PT likes and what it has trouble with.
Yes I am not trying to debate anything as I said I am simply a user not any sort of video tech guy. I wonder though if it has more to do with the iOS version than the phone version ? or maybe the combo ?

For a little background when I went to trade my iPhone 10 s, in on a 15 Pro I was told it was too old an had no trade in value. So I kept it upgraded it to iOS 17.0.3 and now use it and my 15 pro for a two camera (multi-cam) video situation.
Both are set to 4K -30fps The 10s "Format" is set to "Most Compatible" The 15 Pro (iOS 17.2) the Format is set to "High Efficiency" And as noted both import fine into PT

Also I only this started to import the video into PT about 6 months ago (as just a quick reference to see how the video looks with the PT Audio recording I I then I import the video straight into Final Cut Pro along with the finished audio from PT for video actual editing, given PT video editing is pretty limited

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...