Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2022, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Mac Studio will NOT recognize HD Native TB/Omni

Maybe, maybe not. I am waiting for this next macOS to do a new clean install. After that I may comment with more confidence. So far so many unknowns.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:31 PM

Some of us are seeing issues that are at an even lower level than drivers.
Drivers are loaded by the OS when it "sees" a connected device. That is why one should first verify in System Report that their hardware is properly connected.
Then you start investigating why drivers are not loaded.

I think OP issue (and mine) is not driver related but probably comes from Apple confusing use of the same connector for miniDP and Thunderbolt 2, and also how these standards handle power delivery.

On that note, Avid would be smart (or simply considerate to their customers for that matter) to update HD Native to the TB3/4 connector... Would make things easier.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:42 PM

@iode131 I think you may just have it sir!

I just finished a call with Avid support and they basically ran through the entire gamut of testing and still couldn’t resolve why HD native keeps dropping on my system. At the last re-boot MacOS would not even show that a PCI device ie hD Native was attached (good old PCI 11af,ef88 has disappeared, I am now adept at terminal commands like sudo touch and kmutil load-p ) - is it the cable, the power, the unit itself? Is it that garish no-better-than-mojave Monterey? Maybe it’s a plot to get me to buy apple silicon like they did with their battery run-down conspiracy, maybe I should, blasphemy, just move to Ableton Live or heaven forbid, Reaper…!

Tomorrow I will change cables, I will try a new power adapter, I will email support, I will make more phone calls…I will re-boot a hundred times….I’m a musician/producer for gods sake, and all this tech de-bugging is killing my creativity, I am so jealous of anyone with a stable pro tools system

Cheers
H

Quote:
Originally Posted by iode131 View Post
Some of us are seeing issues that are at an even lower level than drivers.
Drivers are loaded by the OS when it "sees" a connected device. That is why one should first verify in System Report that their hardware is properly connected.
Then you start investigating why drivers are not loaded.

I think OP issue (and mine) is not driver related but probably comes from Apple confusing use of the same connector for miniDP and Thunderbolt 2, and also how these standards handle power delivery.

On that note, Avid would be smart (or simply considerate to their customers for that matter) to update HD Native to the TB3/4 connector... Would make things easier.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:04 AM

I don't know if I wrote about it somewhere else but my issue was indeed resolved when I purchased a proper TB cable. Incredibly, the one that came in the box with my HD Native TB Core was actually a miniDP cable!!!
Not sure whether it's a fault of Avid or of Thomann (the dealer) but I nevertheless got credited the price of the TB cable I bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
@iode131 I think you may just have it sir!

I just finished a call with Avid support and they basically ran through the entire gamut of testing and still couldn’t resolve why HD native keeps dropping on my system. At the last re-boot MacOS would not even show that a PCI device ie hD Native was attached (good old PCI 11af,ef88 has disappeared, I am now adept at terminal commands like sudo touch and kmutil load-p ) - is it the cable, the power, the unit itself? Is it that garish no-better-than-mojave Monterey? Maybe it’s a plot to get me to buy apple silicon like they did with their battery run-down conspiracy, maybe I should, blasphemy, just move to Ableton Live or heaven forbid, Reaper…!

Tomorrow I will change cables, I will try a new power adapter, I will email support, I will make more phone calls…I will re-boot a hundred times….I’m a musician/producer for gods sake, and all this tech de-bugging is killing my creativity, I am so jealous of anyone with a stable pro tools system

Cheers
H
Old 10-01-2022, 04:42 PM

Not to anger you but instead to offer hope that this will get resolved, I'll chime in to say that HDN is working flawlessly w/ my Mac Studio Ultra, PT2022.9 and OS Monterey. This didn't happen on Day One, I actually couldn't get the HD drivers to install properly (though I didn't know it at the time) and so each time I'd start ProTools the HDN playback engine was never available.

I ended up booting into recovery mode in order to temporarily turn off some overly-protective security measures, reinstalled the HD Drivers, and the HDN was then immediately available and has been working as expected ever since.

I honestly panicked because I thought that the HDN was simply not going to work with the new Macs, and after two months of waiting for the Mac Studio it was a gut-wrenching feeling. Not to mention the fact that I was busy and needed to get a working system asap.

I wonder if you're experiencing a similar roadblock.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:39 AM

Thanks, your story helps, sorry my frustration boiled over, the support guys on the phone have been good, though as there isn’t weekend cover will wait until tomorrow to get back on the phone. In my case there is a difference with your issue - I /PTU can see the HD Native engine after a re-boot, problem is that is drops/disappears after 20-50 minutes causing the interface time-out error etc etc.

In the meantime having paid out £800+ subscription for PTU I now have an unreliable system still waiting to be fixed.

You can’t even claim compensation, in your case whose fault is it that the HD drivers had to be re-installed? User error, or poor software? Just look at the articles on how to install and re-install and trouble shoot the HD driver. This implies weak engineering…it suggests they are not testing good enough on the MacOS environment nor have a resilient integration architecture.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers
H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Not to anger you but instead to offer hope that this will get resolved, I'll chime in to say that HDN is working flawlessly w/ my Mac Studio Ultra, PT2022.9 and OS Monterey. This didn't happen on Day One, I actually couldn't get the HD drivers to install properly (though I didn't know it at the time) and so each time I'd start ProTools the HDN playback engine was never available.

I ended up booting into recovery mode in order to temporarily turn off some overly-protective security measures, reinstalled the HD Drivers, and the HDN was then immediately available and has been working as expected ever since.

I honestly panicked because I thought that the HDN was simply not going to work with the new Macs, and after two months of waiting for the Mac Studio it was a gut-wrenching feeling. Not to mention the fact that I was busy and needed to get a working system asap.

I wonder if you're experiencing a similar roadblock.

Last edited by Hud; 10-02-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:59 AM

That does seem like a hardware issue of some sort. I hope you and Avid get it figured out quickly! I know how frustrating it is.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:31 PM

… I had to boot into recovery and select options. Then startup disk security. Set to less secure and manage extensions. Thunderbolt chassis with hdx card worked after. Didn’t show up at all before even though the chassis was recognized.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:59 AM

Is this problem related only with Mac Studio / HD Native TB Omni or does the M1 MacBookPro 16 also have the same problem?
Old 11-09-2022, 02:17 PM

^ It seems that MBP M1 is working fine with Native/Omni setup/Monterey.