Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-03-2022, 02:33 PM

Default Help! Keep Getting AAE 9173 Error

I downloaded the 2022.7.0 Protools Studio version and I keep getting the AAE 9173 Error that says "try deactivating or removing any native plugins." I have tried multiple sessions and pulled up a new session with no plugins and it still gave me the error. Not sure what is going on. Worked fine yesterday. Really need help with this.

Acer Predator PH317-55
Windows 10 (Home)
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Ram - 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)

Last edited by KidNouveau; 09-03-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Help! Keep Getting AAE 9173 Error

Hard to know why a problem would start, maybe you have more stuff running in the background? Other apps open? Try to think what is different.

What interface are you using and what exact driver version? And you are using the ASIO driver not ASIO4ALL? (if so and you have ASIO4ALL installed then uninstall that junk).

What sample rate are you running at? (try 44.1 or 48kHz for now).

What IO Buffer size are you using? If you set it to the largest value is it now stable? How small a value can you set it to and have it still work?)

What make/model/spec disk drive are you recording to? Yes disk drives can help trigger CPU errors. What is disk cache size (in the playback engine dialog panel) set to?

Windows systems can be especially sensitive to systems setup and optimization.

Just using a session with no plugins instantiated in it is not enough, any plugin loaded into Pro Tools when it starts up can cause problems.

Start at the "Help us help you" link up the top of each DUC web page, read stuff under that and make sure your PC is fully optimized, including BIOS settings.

Then there are standard troubleshooting steps to try. Always start by trashing prefs. Get the PT Trasher app to make that easier. https://www.pro-tools-pc.us/category-s/1514.htm

Are you testing starting with a new empty session? Not a template, not an existing session or copy of one.

Does this only happen with one session or a set of sessions? not unheard of for a session or template to be corrupted and cause problems.

Is this a clean first DAW install on the PC or might there be old/3rd party Pro Tools AAX plugins installed (maybe installed alongside other plugins if you installed plugins for a different DAW). If so then move all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder to the Unused folder, trash prefs and restart Pro Tools. Pro Tools will automagically put back its core plugins, Does that now run Ok? if not leave only the core plugins installed and keep troubleshooting.

Create a new Administrator account and try the same tests from there.

There are additional optimizations for Windows PCs around CPU exclusion that can be extremely important in solving CPU errors in some systems (and not make much difference in others, all very dependent on workload and plugins as well). See https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...finity-Windows).

Post a Sisoft Sandra report if still stuck.

Don't understand anything above, try Google search or just ask.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:32 PM

Hello, I am experiencing this as well. For me it is only happening with one session and any session I use with the same audio/MIDI tracks after I exported them. I am able to open every other session I have (some with >50 plugins running live), meanwhile on the one impacted session I cant even press play with just one plug in running. I have tried:

- deleting stuff form my C drive
- changing hardware playback engine, and cache settings MANY times
- closing apps in the background
- duplicating each track and deleting the original
- exporting each track individually, starting a new session, importing said tracks
- restarting PC

Again, this only happens with one session with one plugin running (Xpand!), and any session I create where I use the same audio/MIDI tracks. I am guessing that one of the files may be corrupted or causing this since every other session I have works just fine, but find it odd.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:41 PM

I am experiencing the same thing, however it is only impacting just one session and any new session I create where I import the same MIDI/Audio tracks. I can play any session I have saved on my PC, but every time I try to play this specific one (with only one plug in running) it doesnt work. I have gotten this issue in the past over several versions of PT and was able to easily resolve and move on, but not this time. Other sessions have >50 plugins running during playback and it doesnt cause problems -- Ill close a successfully running session, open up the problem child, and it fails.

I have tried:
- restarting PC
- closing other apps
- clearing space on my C drive since it was almost full
- changing HW playback settings and cache settings many times
- duplicating each track and deleting the originals
- exporting each MIDI and audio track individually, opening a new session, importing all tracks into that new session with zero plugins, adding one (Xpand!)
- rescanning plugins upon opening PT

I am guessing there is something wrong with one of the files I am using as every other session I have saved works. I guess I will just rerecord everything unless someone else has something to try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-10-2022 9173.jpg (60.5 KB, 0 views)