Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2022, 01:04 PM

Default 2 pro tools licenses, one ilok account

I have 2 pro tools licenses, both are associated with the same ilok user account. So it doesn't allow two users from different computers to work at the same time. I contacted support and was told that I had to transfer ownership of one of the licenses to another ilok account. The problem is that it doesn't let me either since it says that 3 months must pass after the purchase to be able to do this operation. can someone help me to solve the problem in such a way that two users from different computers can work at the same time each with its corresponding license?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2022-07-06 at 1.28.36 PM.jpg (30.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-06-2022, 01:22 PM

Default Re: 2 pro tools licenses, one ilok account

This is all BS. If somebody in support said that they need, in the words of Pink Floyd, a short sharp shock. But I'd like to hear the full question they were answering. Are you trying to use an iLok that was previously registered to a different account?

You don't transfer ownership to another iLok account, you literally just move the iLok license to another iLok (or iLok cloud... but I'd stay away from that) in your account. A few simple clicks, no fee, no hassle, no need to involve support, just do it. To do that the iLoks have to be registered with your account. You own the licenses you can move them to any iLok in your account.

Now do you really have two seperate iLok licenses or are you looking at a license bundle like for Pro Tools 10/11/12 etc. You cannot separate the licenses in those bundles.

Can't see a thing in that photo taken with a potato, not sure what it is supposed to show. Next time please use the screenshot facility built into your computer.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-06-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:00 PM

You can’t use protools on two computers simultaneously using ilok cloud, but you can use on one computer ilok cloud and on another ilok key or ilok keys on both.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruz View Post
I have 2 pro tools licenses, both are associated with the same ilok user account. So it doesn't allow two users from different computers to work at the same time...
Welcome to the community.

I found your case and it shows that the CS rep has handled this already. All set?
Old 07-06-2022, 10:23 PM

Hopefully nobody had to get any shock.

In the meantime. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LezoMi3yftM

(Pulse is such a stunningly good live album).
Old 07-14-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruz View Post
I have 2 pro tools licenses, both are associated with the same ilok user account. So it doesn't allow two users from different computers to work at the same time. I contacted support and was told that I had to transfer ownership of one of the licenses to another ilok account. The problem is that it doesn't let me either since it says that 3 months must pass after the purchase to be able to do this operation. can someone help me to solve the problem in such a way that two users from different computers can work at the same time each with its corresponding license?
This is super easy. First, buy a second ilok if you don't have one already.
Second, register the second ilok with the same account.
Third, plug both iloks in to the same computer at the same time.
Drag and drop the license from one ilok the the other. wait a few seconds, don't unlplug in the middle of the transfer.

Super easy. This was you now can authorize two systems at once. This is totally different than transferring one license to a new owner
Old 07-14-2022, 10:43 AM

More iLok info to remember:
1-you can connect multiple iLoks at the same time. Handy if you have some licenses on 1 iLok and some on another iLok. In my case, because some products allow for 2 authorizations, I have my duplicate licenses on a second iLok that my partner runs on his setup, and his duplicates run on my setup(with an iLok tied to his account).

2-you can move licenses between iLoks from the same account for free(moving from iLok to iLok is not a transfer of ownership).

3-while iLok cloud looks good on paper, it requires a 100% perfect internet connection 100% of the time. The slightest glitch will stop you cold(and what if it happens in the middle of the perfect take?). With that in mind, I ALWAYS use a physical iLok if at all possible.

4-lots of people whine about iLok, but having dealt with every form of authorization there is, iLok simply works, even if you reload every bit of software you own

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-14-2022, 02:34 PM

Dave, I am with you there. I love the ilok method. Ilok cloud is a pain, especially if your motherboard dies.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:53 PM

Wanted to drop in and clarify a few things...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-c View Post
This is super easy. First, buy a second ilok if you don't have one already...
This thread started because of the limitation of 1 Cloud Session per iLok account - the OP isn't using any iLok USB Keys. I believe CS moved the second license to another account to solve this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
...while iLok cloud looks good on paper, it requires a 100% perfect internet connection 100% of the time. The slightest glitch will stop you cold(and what if it happens in the middle of the perfect take?)...
You should have persistent internet for iLok Cloud, but there is actually some grace period built-in. If you lose your internet connection you'll see a dialog after a few minutes prompting you to correct this, and if you don't re-connect to the internet after another few minutes Pro Tools will post a second dialog with the option to save before quitting. This should more than cover any temporary internet glitch or dropout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-c View Post
...Ilok cloud is a pain, especially if your motherboard dies.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your point, but licenses in iLok Cloud are not tied to your motherboard (or hard drive like machine authorization). You could simply start up again after repairing or replacing the computer to have it take over the Cloud Session.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Wanted to drop in and clarify a few things...

This thread started because of the limitation of 1 Cloud Session per iLok account - the OP isn't using any iLok USB Keys. I believe CS moved the second license to another account to solve this.

You should have persistent internet for iLok Cloud, but there is actually some grace period built-in. If you lose your internet connection you'll see a dialog after a few minutes prompting you to correct this, and if you don't re-connect to the internet after another few minutes Pro Tools will post a second dialog with the option to save before quitting. This should more than cover any temporary internet glitch or dropout.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your point, but licenses in iLok Cloud are not tied to your motherboard (or hard drive like machine authorization). You could simply start up again after repairing or replacing the computer to have it take over the Cloud Session.
I guess I am thinking of how Pro Tools first licensing worked. I use normal PT on an ilok but I had used PT first on secondary computers and it was so easy to lose those activations if you sold a computer amd forgot to deactivate first. Does ilok cloud for standard Pro Tools work differently?