Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-20-2022, 11:06 AM

Default Inconsistent Audio Files with a Template

macOS Catalina
Version 10.15.7 (19H1824)

Pro Tools

I have countless live recordings on cassette that I am transferring into Pro Tools to be able to master and archive the WAV files. For each cassette I use a template I created that is very generic and it does the following:

Stereo Aux track with a stereo VU Meter plugin with a trim control. That track gets routed to a stereo Audio track through a stereo bus which acts as a Print track.

I do the exact same thing for two Mono tracks. Each gets the Left / Right input of the cassette, gets routed to an Aux track (left or right) which routes in Mono to a Mono Audio track.

It’s important to note that the template is created Interleaved but I am finding inconsistencies. For each session the Audio folder should contain a Left WAV, Right WAV and a Stereo WAV. Most of the sessions for each cassette do this perfectly. On occasion the end result is that the Audio folder will contain something similar to the following; please note the file size for each:

Left_01.wav 445 KB
Left_02.wav 282 MB
Right_01.wav 445 KB
Right_02.wav 282 MB
Stereo_01.wav 841 KB
Stereo_02.wav536 MB

Again, I am using the exact same template for every cassette yet the results are inconsistent. When it works as expected I see something similar to this:
Left_01.wav 357 MB
Right_02.wav 357 MB
Stereo_01.wav 714 MB

I realize there are different approaches to accomplishing this but I prefer to work this way. I just don’t understand what would cause this random change.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Inconsistent Audio Files with a Template

Those KB files mean you stopped a recording pass/print prematurely. Files don't disappear if you do that. You have to use cmd+. to "undo" a recording.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:29 AM

There were a few times that I accidentally started to record, a matter of seconds then I realized I hadn't started the tape. I then returned to zero and thought I was recording over them. Now it takes sense. SO basically I can trash the smaller files?
Old 04-20-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Rick View Post
There were a few times that I accidentally started to record, a matter of seconds then I realized I hadn't started the tape. I then returned to zero and thought I was recording over them. Now it takes sense. SO basically I can trash the smaller files?
Yes. It's better to rename the good files in ProTools so you don't accidentally delete the good files (the bad files will just have their "auto" names then.)

You can also clear out "unused" files within ProTools if you keep all your good files in the tracks. Cmd+Shift+U selects unused clips from the clip bin, Cmd+Shift+B removes selected (you then get the option of remove from session, delete from disk, or move to trash; the last two will get them off of your hard drive)

But if you want to stop a record and leave no trace, command + period instead of stopping with the spacebar is how to do it (caution: this is undoable)
Old 04-23-2022, 08:13 AM

Perfect explanation - thanks very much for this clarification