Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-21-2016, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Will Pro Tools 10 work with mac OS Sierra

Or up to 10.8.5 which was awesome for us.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-09-2017, 12:49 PM

I am very interested in the original question.

I don't think there is a better system out there than Pro Tools HD/TDM systems for people who love DSP (for many reasons, simplicity, plug-in support, reserved low latency for large sessions). So I am hoping to hold onto my Pro Tools 10 alongside Pro Tools 12.7 (or whatever keeps working) until I absolutely have to let go of Pro Tools 10 HD.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-09-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I am very interested in the original question.

I don't think there is a better system out there than Pro Tools HD/TDM systems for people who love DSP (for many reasons, simplicity, plug-in support, reserved low latency for large sessions). So I am hoping to hold onto my Pro Tools 10 alongside Pro Tools 12.7 (or whatever keeps working) until I absolutely have to let go of Pro Tools 10 HD.
Hopefully you have a dual-boot system as PT10 will never be made to work correctly with Sierra. Avid has stopped all development/bug fixes/updates on PT10.

QAPLA!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:47 AM

I think you should try. I'm getting ready to do it now.

Pro Tools 10 was FAR more stable than the modern versions of Pro Tools.

I am surprised to see one of the moderators of the forum try to dissuade you from at least trying something that has already been proven to work here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBhxYAhAJw&t=61s

I'm about to try it myself. Did a backup of my system last night.

Avid continues to piss everyone off with not being able to support their products with ANYTHING without people spending tens of thousands of dollars every year to work with the latest high end HD interfaces or just have to use a barely working system with a cheap third party interface that doesn't even work properly with your computer and mutes your studio monitors when you click "low latency monitoring" in an unstable Pro Tools 11/12.

As a self respecting human being, I can't do either of the above so I am about to try this. My Digi 003 is in fine condition just cannot interact with super modern versions of Pro Tools. On top of that, Avid doesn't even support my Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 13") on PT 11/12, which is a fine computer I might add which I've even upgraded to 16 gb RAM and a 1 TB SSD.

Is Avid really surprised we need to do ridiculous coding rewrites to get their better, old products working on our newer systems to just avoid having to use their new products altogether?

Wish me luck. I'm sure I'll confirm later whether or not y'all should just ditch your modern versions of Pro Tools and go back to 10.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:02 AM

Pro Tools has become bloatware. just look at the app sizes:

Pro Tools 10.3.10 = 246.1MB
Pro Tools 12.7.1 = 1.82 GB

u cannot tell me there are 1 1/2 gigabytes of improvements between PT10 and PT12.

compare that to a modern DAW like Presonus Studio One that weighs in at only about 150MB. efficient code writing.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlfader View Post
Pro Tools has become bloatware. just look at the app sizes:

Pro Tools 10.3.10 = 246.1MB
Pro Tools 12.7.1 = 1.82 GB

u cannot tell me there are 1 1/2 gigabytes of improvements between PT10 and PT12.

compare that to a modern DAW like Presonus Studio One that weighs in at only about 150MB. efficient code writing.
Where did you get 246.1 MB from??

PT10.3.10 Win 1.77GB
PT10.3.10 Mac 2.33GB
PT12.7.1 Win 1.69GB
PT12.7.1 Mac 1.32GB

So ITRW PT12 is way smaller in size.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-04-2017, 09:19 AM

1. quoting the post immediately before your own posting is a waste of thread space unless you are one of those people who always like to prove that you're right and are afraid that someone might edit their post.

2. select the actual app. (not the installer dmg, folder, etc) and click Command +I. read the size info. tell me what it says.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
1. quoting the post immediately before your own posting is a waste of thread space unless you are one of those people who always like to prove that you're right and are afraid that someone might edit their post.

2. select the actual app. (not the installer dmg, folder, etc) and click Command +I. read the size info. tell me what it says.
Have no clue why you are that hostile and i quoted your post as I am talking to you ..

i read the download sizes and i have never seen a package go from over 2GB to 241-ish MB. Also I cant look at PT10 as we dont use it but i am sure someone else can help with that.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-04-2017, 11:32 AM

well, apologies, but when someone directly contradicts some data I have posted and then I find out that they have not even looked at the app size, nor have the capability to do so . . . . and are actually quoting numbers for something completely different (ie an installer, rather than an app).

full dmg/zip installers are always bigger as they are geared toward including every possible option that the various customers might want to install. a final installed app is nearly always smaller, unless they have used massive data-compression on the installer. my numbers are for a standard mac HD install.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
well, apologies, but when someone directly contradicts some data I have posted and then I find out that they have not even looked at the app size, nor have the capability to do so . . . . and are actually quoting numbers for something completely different (ie an installer, rather than an app).

full dmg/zip installers are always bigger as they are geared toward including every possible option that the various customers might want to install. a final installed app is nearly always smaller, unless they have used massive data-compression on the installer. my numbers are for a standard mac HD install.
All good

I am gonna look at our studio Macs and report back as this is very interesting ..

Thanks for the info, I had NO idea and am not afraid to say so.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————