Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2014, 11:07 AM

Default Dropped Recordings in Pro Tools 10

Occasionally, while recording in Pro Tools 10, it drops out of record mode for no apparent reason. The video reference signal is still running and does not seem to be the problem. And there are no other tasks happening on the computer (HP Z400). Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Dropped Recordings in Pro Tools 10

Just some spitball ideas:
10 what? .2 .3
chasing Time-code?
Recording to Selection?
tried Internal Ref instead of Vid Ref? generator might be going bad
tried tossing the prefs and rebuild them?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-15-2014, 12:12 PM

It is Pro Tools 10.3.7. The recordings chase free run 23.976 FPS time code generated from a Denecke SBT time code / sync generator. The sync from the Denecke is what Pro Tools syncs from. The sync is tri-level sync, 1080 P, 23.976 FPS. I cannot use Internal Ref, as I am recording sound that needs to sync to an Arri Alexa HD camera, and the sync is critical. I doubt if the generator is going bad, as I just purchased it less than 2 years ago, and it is a very reliable company that have used other generator products from that have lasted for many years and still continue to work. The dropped recordings do not occur frequently. But they do occur at random times about once every 30 hours of Pro Tools run time, just to give an idea on how often the problem occurs. I supposed I could try a test recording with Internal Ref over a period of a few days and see if any dropped recordings occur, but this would be pretty time intensive. If you can tell me any other possible causes for this, I would appreciate it.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 PM

Just referencing Tri-Level and not chasing TC? Free Wheel setting comes to mind but not, if not chasing TC
bad BNC cable comes to mind
If the Arri is not also referencing the Denecke also you do not need it for Pro Tools

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM

I am referencing Tri-Level sync as well as chasing TC. The Tri-Level sync comes from the Denecke and goes to the Video Reference in of the Sync HD. Then Word Clock out of Sync HD goes to Apogee Big Ben Master Clock word clock input, which outputs word clock to the Digidesign 192 I/O. This set-up is per the Apogee write-up on how to set up the Big Ben with Pro Tools. Separately, the TC output from the Denecke goes via a Distribution Amp to the Sync HD LTC TC input. I have attached a screen shot of my Pro Tools Session Setup window, which shows the different settings that I use, including the setting for 8 frames Freewheel. The Arri Alexa camera only jams sync to the time code from the Denecke--it does not run off of the Tri-Level from the Denecke.
Attached Images
File Type: png Pro Tools Session Setup.PNG (67.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-18-2014, 12:08 PM

First I would lose the Big Ben
If that doesn't help Try 1080p23.976 segmented frames

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM

Okay, thanks. Right now, I am using 1080 Progressive Scan trilevel sync. I will check out the possibility of using 1080 Segmented Scan trilevel sync. Do you suggest this, because segmented scan is a finer sync resolution, or what is your reasoning for suggesting this? I am not able to lose the Big Ben, but I don't think it is the problem actually. It is just running off of the word clock from the Avid Sync HD.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:59 PM

I've had PT have problems locking up when using straight progressive over segmented
this was with a Media Composer rig involved but I think it's worth a try

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 AM

This is certainly worth a try. I will test this out and then over a period of time I'll be able to tell if this did the trick if I have no dropped recordings. Thank you very much!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 PM

I just wanted to find out how I should trash and rebuild the preferences, as you suggested in your first message here. I have Windows 7 on a PC, Pro Tools 10.3.7. Please confirm the following procedure: My Computer / to C Drive / User Name Folder / AppData Folder / Roaming Folder / Avid -- trash this Avid folder???
Then go to My Computer / to C Drive / Program Files (x86) / Avid / DAE / DAE Prefs and delete the entire DAE Preferences folder.
Is this the correct procedure for trashing the preferences?
Then how do I rebuild the preferences? Is this done by simply rebooting Pro Tools? Or is there another procedure to rebuild them?