Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-21-2011, 05:22 AM

Default A slightly different Student question

I bought PT9 in UK when it first came out (24th November 2010). There wasn't an academic version available at the time. I needed the software urgently, so had to pay the £490.

I was a student at the time (and I still am).

Is there any way I can get the academic upgrade to PT10 free?
Would I have to change my licence to an academic licence? (Is that even possible?)

Or do I need to cut my losses and buy PT10 academic, full price?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2011, 05:34 AM

Default Re: A slightly different Student question

Hmm, I just gave up on this one.

I bought PT7 as a (mature) student (still am too), but it was in the free PT8 upgrade window so I got that ok.

When PT9 came out I was assured by Avid that educational discounts previously obtained via the digi education store would be available, but they had to be purchased from an educational reseller. Avid UK couldn't tell me anything on the subject at the time, but I spoke to Avid US who confirmed this.

PT9 only appeared, initially, on Studica's US site. So I ordered from there, but after the order was confirmed by them, it never got shipped. When I queried, I was told that Avid had informed them that the educational discount was only only for US customers.

I checked with Avid, who confirmed that educational discounts were only for US customers.

So I bit the bullet and paid the full PT8 to PT9 upgrade price, just over £200.

Then, a few weeks later, educational discounts appeared on Studica's uk store. All attempts to resolve this with Avid got me nowhere.

This time, I haven't bothered, beyond checking if it is on the Studica UK store. Guess what, it isn't!

I imagine the same scenario will apply, it will appear some time down the line as an educational discount available for uk customers. The only question is ... can you wait that long?

I'll probably upgrade my 2nd PT8 licence to PT10 via educational discount once it becomes available. I never bothered upgrading it to PT9, but the extras in PT10 will make it worthwhile. Roll on syncing my mac pro and macbook pro once I've done that ;-0
Old 10-21-2011, 06:12 AM

Default Re: A slightly different Student question

Well, I had no way of finishing my assignments without buying PT9. I had to bite the bullet on the price.
Now I'm in my final year, and currently studying PT 110.
If I have to pay full price for the upgrade, I just can't afford it. I'll have to wait till I leave university. By which time I won't be a student (obviously!).
Although I'm seriously considering doing a Masters degree.

I can't see why I couldn't change my licence to a student one. I paid almost £500 for Pro Tools 9. A few months later a fellow student bought the academic PT9 for £229, with 4 years of upgrades included!