How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2015, 06:12 PM

Default Incredibly Complex iLok replacement

I Lost my USB iLok.

Both Avid and iLok make the replacement of an iLOK *EXTREMELY* confusing and difficult.

I purchased a new one because someone in the Discussion group told someone else they needed to. So now, most likely, I am out $50 because Avid would not allow me to contact support directly for an incredibly simple question.

The iLOK account shows I have Pro Tools 10 license and TWO iloks, but of course iLok will not allow me to de-activate the old one and activate the new one because that's not confusing enough.

So please verify and mark this as a solution if correct:

Do I have to:
1) Submit an RMA for the old iLok and potentially have iLok erase my ALREADY REGISTERED LICENSE ( and risk losing another $600.00) for a license of Pro Tools when they claim they can't find it later?

2) Do I then need to Pay for a Support Incident ($39 and another $49 for a 3rd ilok) so that someone at Avid can click on a button to assign a license to a NEW iLok -> which they will charge me for again?

For the love of God, please make a list of steps to follow. When it fails, I have no one at Avid that will care that I lost my $600+ license.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Incredibly Complex iLok replacement

You posted after my reply to your previous post so I'm thinking you should have seen my reply. Did the steps listed here not help? (You don't have to buy a 3rd iLok2.)
Old 12-07-2015, 06:39 PM

I saw your post and I began it - then stopped.

One of the phrases used at iLoks site was something like "will be disabled" and I was afraid they would lose my license. The sad part is - it is a "trivial" process (conceptually) to disable one ilok and activate another one. It's a simple USB device.

So I wanted to verify the process before completing it.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:59 PM

Technically they can't lose your license as it's on your original iLok that was already lost. The reference to disabling applies to the (original) iLok. So you don't have to buy a full copy of Pro Tools, or a 3rd iLok, simply follow the process that's documented.

If you have suggestions on clarifying the steps of this process please let us know.

Thanks!