Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2000, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Is there any Mic Pre-amp PLUG-IN..?

I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANY PLUGIN PREAMP.
I USE A TLA UNIT WICH IS TUBE PREAMP COMPRESSOR AND EQ, IT`S GREAT WITH VOCAL AND ANY MIC FOR INSTRUMENT.
CANNOT HELP YOU WITH PRICES.
GOOD LUCK
DAVID
Old 04-21-2000, 05:17 PM

A nice mic preamp if you don't wanna spend a lot of money is the ART tube MP, you can get it for about $110 wich is a great deal, highly recomended, you can even use it as a DI box for your keyboards, for that price you should consider getting a pair. What kind of mikes are you planning to use condenser or dynamic?
Old 04-22-2000, 12:52 AM

Default Is there any Mic Pre-amp PLUG-IN..?

HI everybody, I need so desperately to get a mic pre-amp, I been asking for prices and a decent one is not less than $700 dollars.
Also I been trying to see if there are any Mic pre-amp plug-ins or any plugins that would enhance my vocals.
In case there is not mic pre-amps as plug-ins yet, I would love to hear your opinion on which regular mic pre-amp you guys use and love.
Thank you for your help.
Old 04-22-2000, 08:49 AM

Just an interesting sidenote here...

I recently bought a CD called the "Boston Pre Party" which compares a bunch of different high-end preamps through 3 or 4 different mics on acoustic guitar, nylon string guitar, and voice. By FAR, the biggest difference in the sounds on this CD was NOT the preamps, but was the choice of mics.

Good mic pre's do seem to start at about the $500-700 range. You can also get a pretty good mic for the same money - if what you really want is a different sound.

Just some food for thought...

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 04-22-2000, 09:35 PM

I've been using the dbx-576,which is 1 channel of tube (12xa7) preamp & 1 channel tube comp.
You can feed the preamp directly to the comp or not and can use both on different sources at the same time - also has sidechain capability & an option (more bucks) of digital output - I've used it on elec bass, acoustic guitar, vocals,percussion - hell everything I've recorded with a mic - it's made a big diff!! Plus it has some classic dbx compressor settings (over-easy). I got it from sweetwater for $750. They also make the 586 which is two channels of the same preamp for the same $$.

Good luck!!

crow
Old 04-22-2000, 10:06 PM

Thank you guys.
You are really a help.
Old 04-24-2000, 02:29 PM

While not a mic pre modeler, Antares has a new product, MicModeler which may fill your need.
(www.antarestech.com)
Old 04-26-2000, 01:16 PM

All I can say is you must be using one HECK of a good mic if you're that worried about the quality of the pre. I'm using Audio Technica 4033's, and a CAD E-200 through the Digi pre, and they sound great to me! If you're using something like an SM-58, maybe THAT's your problem.

Happy micing!

Glenn

Old 01-01-2001, 09:39 PM

Listen buddy how do you know that my-man isn't just trying to add a third mic and needs one for the god-awful non-existant-pre 3-8 in's? Cause that's why I want one-- i could't believe the levels on a cheap sm- through the third in "vs" 1 and 2.