Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Advice needed for a new music setup with HD3

I'm still running a Logic 6.4 with Mix 3 on OS9. I reached the limits of my system and need to update my tools.

I work mainly for animation movies (13 and 26 " formats) and I use all VST's possible and EXS 24 programs in Logic.

I bought Logic 7, tried it seriously on my G4 with terrible bugs and no real support with TDM, especially using AU in DTDM.

I'm seriously thinking of an HD3 as main sequencer and mixer. Midi in PT is not really so easy but I'll try to make it possible. The power of HD3 is enough to have the entire 13 " or 26 3 mix in the same session.

My question is more on the virtual instrument side : I've got tons of license of virtual instru but lots are not RTAS and wrapper doesn't seem to be the answer, especially with Steinberg things I use a lot (VB, Grand, VG, VGEE, Groove Agent). Furthermore, I use VSL and orchestral collections in a serious way and I don't think there is a sofsampler able to run as EXS in PT

I'm seriously thinking about a split of all this tasks : PT HD3 for sequencing and TDM plugs and mixing. PC with VSTACK for Sofsynths and another PC with Giga for sampling.

Is anyone using such conf ? What about I/0 to come back in PT ?

I've read an interface like 192 is only able of 16 in ADAT at the same time. If I use a legacy adat bridge in it, am I able to use 32 adat in, or Have I to use another 192 or 96 to input 32 adat.

Thanks for helps and toughts.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Advice needed for a new music setup with HD3

i got a post for you to read..not that the source is unbiased but its information ...nothing more or less....http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4574

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos
Old 05-23-2005, 12:57 AM

VST with a PC - a very good Idea ! Doing it here also, very good results!
Got LOGIC 7.1 to work after months of frustration without VST wrappers and so on,...

cheers, andy
emagic_Unitor8_MKII
Old 05-23-2005, 02:02 AM

If you don't like laughing at yourself, I will be happy to do it for you.

You've done it...

Let me tell you a story.

I began my music career with a mackie 8 bus, several external synths and effects and DA88 in 94. I used to sequence with an atari and notator. I discovered protools and replaced my DA88. The music for picture market became more and more demanding, and the complete studio with external gears unadapted to make my music and have a total recall without spending hours. Time is a big issue in the TV market. Logic came as an evidence, and ESB was a wonderful dicovery, allowing me to use my tdm architecture with all the VST I bought on OS9. I sold about all my external gears, I had a rock solid system, every VST's was compatible with my system. EXS 24 was working perfectly, with large orchestral colections. Then came OSX, HD and AU. I decided to wait before jumping, my system was stable, AU a new standard. I began to see post about problem with Logic 6.4 and HD on OSX, AU not supported by several majors developpers. Now we're in 2005, I'm still running my OS9 system, with clients laughing at my old gears, 2 PCs came in the studio to be able to use the lastest VST'is, OS 9 developpements stopped two years ago. I'm syncing a PC with acid to be able to strech on the fly, feature very usefull in those days, but no rewire for me, so a real headache in my workflow when changing tempos, not to talk about MTC delay at start. The second PC is running V-satck with latest plugs like RMX, Groove agent 2, Absynth 3, coming digital in an adat bridge, but only 8 stereo's instruments at the time. Let me say it works, but really painfull.

I tested nuendo and a revelation came to me. This tool is at this time the only one able to do what a musician is waiting from his machine : all VST'is are running on the plateform with no restrictions, time strech on fly, very acceptable midi implementation, rewire if needeed, support for UAD and Powercore, and something like stability on PC. Good price. And yes, I ask for advices for a nuendo station.

On the other side Logic 7 buggy, updates every 3 months, developpers unable to make stable AU (don't want to know who's responsable) ESB a real nightmare, according to friends using the system and not able to work correctly. I don't want to deal with kernel panics, forget important thirds cause they make the system to crash.

But I like protools and the plug-in side is awesome. I invest on a mix 3 and Digi is the only one to make an offer to update. HD3 is a powerfull sonic system, but not really made for making midi music in an elegant and powerfull way. Sequence a bass with virus is far from making a 90 tracks scoring with VSL.

The idea of using an HD3 for what it is made (recording audio and mixing) and use PC the same way, VST's and sampling ,is another option, that's why I'm asking. But I/O contraints, tempo changed constraints, 2 or 3 computer to live with...

I really feel an hostage of all this computer Mac PC thing, I only ask for a reliable system to make my work done. The situation is really complex for a simple thing I want to do : music.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:13 AM

hi lionel,

i sent you a mail on your private box, did you receive it ?

Best regards

Jerome