Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-1998, 01:52 PM

Default Rookie Needs Help

Hi, I was recently given an old SAMPLECELL 1 nubus card and an old SOUND ACCELERATOR card to use on my (old) system. My friend can't find any of the required software.
System:
MAC II FX, sys 7.6.1, CUBASE 3.0, Studio 3 interface, OMS

1) He says I can use SAMPLECELL II software, and SOUNDESIGNER II software, respectively. Is this correct?

2) How much extra RAM should I install?

3) Do I have to buy this software, or can it be downloaded for free? I saw several downloads, but I don't really know what I need, and what's compatible. Did these things come with software? Can I just "replace it"?

4) The SOUND ACCELERATOR has only one 1/4 inch (stereo) jack on the back and the SCSI-looking I/O port. Is the 1/4 inch jack the IN and I have to digi-port the sound OUT of it somehow, or vicey-versey?

5) Maybe a manual would be a good idea. How can I get them?

Thanks for any info!
Old 11-05-1998, 09:07 AM
Avid

Default Re: Rookie Needs Help

1) Yes and Yes. I'm not sure what versions you can use though.

2) Given that RAM is very cheap these days I'd put at least 32 megs into the computer. This should give you more than enough to run a somewhat modern OS + the sound software.

3) Both of these hardware systems would have come with software, I'm not certain what versions you need or how you can get them.

4) This system uses an audio interface which plugs into the SCSI-looking port on the card. This is going to be hard to find as they haven't been made in quite a few years. To figure out which one you need take a look at the card itself and write down the exact model. You'll see Sound Accelerator, SA 2 or SA 2 II. Then call (650) 842-6699 and navigate to compatibility in the phone tree. They should be able to tell you what interfaces you can use.

Also, a call into Customer Service Admin (same number as above) should get you info on how if/how you can receive some software.

-bm-