Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-21-2021, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Has anyone tried Pro Tools 2021.7 on the Monterey Betas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Everyone has different use cases. You can’t please everyone.
Exactly.

And right now there is this thing that I myself call "adapter hell", which is why I do not mind having dedicated HDMI and USB-A to get rid of some adapters. Maybe in three(ish) years things have changed, but we live in the now.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I
Everyone has different use cases. You can’t please everyone. IMO, they shouldn’t have dropped a TB port to reintroduce a legacy connection. That is all.
(emphasis mine)

I wouldn't consider HDMI to be a legacy connection. It's an order of magnitude more prevalent than any alternative including DP and TB3. It's the consumer/prosumer standard right now. In production we use a bit of DP but it's mostly some flavor of SDI directly into a studio monitor. For corporate presentations or general AV it's far and away HDMI.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoButtonGuy View Post
(emphasis mine)

I wouldn't consider HDMI to be a legacy connection. It's an order of magnitude more prevalent than any alternative including DP and TB3. It's the consumer/prosumer standard right now. In production we use a bit of DP but it's mostly some flavor of SDI directly into a studio monitor. For corporate presentations or general AV it's far and away HDMI.
The problem is that you can turn TB4 in to an HDMI connector, a USB A connector a USB c connector and an Ethernet connector but you can't turn HDMI in to a TB4 connector
Old 11-15-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
The problem is that you can turn TB4 in to an HDMI connector, a USB A connector a USB c connector and an Ethernet connector but you can't turn HDMI in to a TB4 connector

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer to have 4 TB ports instead of 3 TB ports. Apple can't win here. For a whole generation of Macbook Pro's, all we hear is people complaining about needing dongles and needing a dock for any type of connection. I do see the compromise Apple is offering. If it were up to me, I would add the Magsafe power connector, HDMI output, and SD card reader while keeping 4 TB ports.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 11-16-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand your point. You guys are the edge cases wanting to convert HDMI back to TB. The point is HDMI is everywhere. To refer to it as legacy does not reflect what's happening in the market. Widespread adoption of TB video is not a thing now. Not consumers and not pros. A majority of pro video gear has either HDMI, SDI or both. Some have TB connections. In pro apps TB is largely used for data transfer but not so much production video once you're off an editing station. I've yet to see a TB display in a truck or control room.

There is a good chance that 2110 and/or NDI will be the standards for pro interoperability (in some places they are now) rather than TB video. Once more Win PC manufacturers start making TB video a thing and lower end/cost displays support it could (likely will) supplant HDMI on the desktop but that's not the case now. Apple made the right call including HDMI even at the expense of a TB port.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer to have 4 TB ports instead of 3 TB ports. Apple can't win here. For a whole generation of Macbook Pro's, all we hear is people complaining about needing dongles and needing a dock for any type of connection. I do see the compromise Apple is offering. If it were up to me, I would add the Magsafe power connector, HDMI output, and SD card reader while keeping 4 TB ports.
The issue as I understand it is there are only 3 controllers/busses for TB in the current SoC. HDMI is from a bus from the GPU not using TB bandwidth. The fourth port would need to share bandwidth with another. Then there is the issue of space for the port vs. industrial design. If we've learned anything from Apple is that they'll sacrifice functionality for design 9 out of 10 times.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The issue as I understand it is there are only 3 controllers/busses for TB in the current SoC. HDMI is from a bus from the GPU not using TB bandwidth. The fourth port would need to share bandwidth with another. Then there is the issue of space for the port vs. industrial design. If we've learned anything from Apple is that they'll sacrifice functionality for design 9 out of 10 times.
You are correct about only three TB busses on the new chips but is that a chicken or the egg thing?
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I understand your point. You guys are the edge cases wanting to convert HDMI back to TB. The point is HDMI is everywhere. To refer to it as legacy does not reflect what's happening in the market. Widespread adoption of TB video is not a thing now. Not consumers and not pros. A majority of pro video gear has either HDMI, SDI or both. Some have TB connections. In pro apps TB is largely used for data transfer but not so much production video once you're off an editing station. I've yet to see a TB display in a truck or control room.

There is a good chance that 2110 and/or NDI will be the standards for pro interoperability (in some places they are now) rather than TB video. Once more Win PC manufacturers start making TB video a thing and lower end/cost displays support it could (likely will) supplant HDMI on the desktop but that's not the case now. Apple made the right call including HDMI even at the expense of a TB port.
You still don't get it. With 4 TB4 ports you can convert any of those to HDMI/USB C,USB A/Ethernet/SD card reader and power up from it! The one HDMI port replacing the 4th Thunderbolt port only connects to an HDMI device!