Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Default 003 Rack - Windows 7 - New Build

My new i7 build with Gigabyte EX58-UD3R mobo is in the works (bad motherboard had to be sent back - wouldn't ya know)?

Bought OS - Windows Vista 32-bit, of course, with a free upgrade to Windows 7 (which launches today or tmorrow I believe).

Seriously - should I load the Vista, go "back" to Windows XP, or grab the Windows 7 and install.

I thought I read some stuff about Windows 7 (at least in Beta) not recognizing the 003 Rack. But W7 sounds SO much more stable.

With the 003 Rack, what's the smartest, tightest move. You guys were great with the hardware - help with the OS? --Rex
Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 AM

Default Re: 003 Rack - Windows 7 - New Build

Just an opinion but I would load up XP and start recording. I see no sense in Vista(assuming you HAVE a copy of XP). I would not install Win7 until DIGI posts that it is supported(unless you have the skills to troubleshoot it). From what I understand, some have Win7 working with USB interfaces, but firewire is another story. You can try the Legacy firewire driver and see what happens. I had no luck myself. I decided to cross my fingers and hope for DIGI to release a 64 bit compatible version, which they are working on as we speak. When that happens, I will go Win7 64 bit(but I will have a backup plan and suggest you do the same, no matter what course you chose).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Fine and dandy - I think I'll go with a trustworthy XP unless Digi announces in the next 48 hours.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 PM

And even when some of us ARE able to get USB PTLE working on W7x64, it uses 2x the CPU as XP. I've been using the w7 rc for quite some time, though, and I'm going to upgrade the instant Digi comes out with W7x64 compatible PT. Can't wait for the day. I check Digi for an announcement literally every day... maybe that's because I'm getting ready to upgrade to a shiny new Quad core system :)
Old 10-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlights View Post
Fine and dandy - I think I'll go with a trustworthy XP unless Digi announces in the next 48 hours.
Good choice.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-21-2009, 03:10 PM

I'm also planning on ordering a new system to run my 003 Rack and Pro Tools LE 7.4 with. What do you guys think of using a Velocity Micro Edge Z30 with an i7-860 CPU hyperclocked to 3.2 GHz?

The only problem is they said they would be shipping it with Windows 7, but could install the 32-bit version if needed. I would rather continue with XP for a little longer as mentioned here, but with the Z30 it sounds like I would have to re-install it myself.

I am also running firewire on my existing system and would like to continue using that on the new system as well. The Z30 recently got editors' choice from CNet and PC magazine and seems to be priced great.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Just an opinion but I would load up XP and start recording...
Yep. For now, stick with XP when using Pro Tools. I would do a dual boot of XP and W7 so that you're ready for the future.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Yep. For now, stick with XP when using Pro Tools. I would do a dual boot of XP and W7 so that you're ready for the future.

Shane
+1

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM

+2

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-13-2009, 02:59 PM

I'm back - finally (we replaced the chip, AND the motherboard, before we realized the power supply was at fault - nice waste of time). Anyway, it runs now.

I did a stripped down Pro Tools hardware profile per Digi's optimization tips, but I have not yet attacked the manual RAM settings in the BIOS.

I did open a session and saw a SIGNIFICANT drop in CPU (RTAS) - from 45-50% to about 5-6%.

I did get one error opening a different session - a "Could not complete the Open Session because Access Violation occurred. Unable to read location: 0x14EA4000 at address: 0x781474AO in module: MSVCR80.dll while translating tracks."

I hit Close and then tried again, and the session opened fine (still it was disturbing and I got the "Disc allocation change - do you want a detailed report" notice). Is this merely because I've moved my sessions to a brand new (Caviar black) drive?

Also - in using the Setup to drop all non-Microsoft devices, one of the settings it drops is "Digidesign MME Refresh" - is that right?

I also noticed that when I got that MSVCR80 error - I went to Task Manager, and even though I was running a stripped profile with stripped "services" - a couple AVG tasks were still going (which I assume still belong to AVG, though I had neither the Internet or AVG running in that profile).

Thoughts? Suggestions? High-fives? Stern, admonishing looks?