Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2009, 07:22 PM

Default Pro Tools LE 8 Audio Coming Out Mac

Running a Dual 2ghz G5 PCI 4gig Ram. I have Pro Tools LE 8.0cs3 running on leopard 10.5.7 with the Waves Diamond Native v6 installed. I also run FCP Studio 2 in the background sometimes. This problem happens whether FCP is launched or not.

The problem is that my Pro Tools audio comes out of my LCD speakers. I have dual LCD's. Each of them have speakers in them. I use the LCD speakers for FCP and Mac OS audio.

I would love to have the option to mirror Pro Tools audio to the Mac outs but as it is I can't seem to shut it off. I have to unplug the monitors and keep a set of headphones nearby for when I need to listen to FCP or the Mac.

The OO2R is only connected to the mac via the Firwire cable. No Optical cables are connected.

Does this seem like a Core Audio glitch and has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 8 Audio Coming Out Mac

This should not be.
It might be a CA glitch but I'd suspect some form of ground bus leakage

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 PM

What is a CA glitche? Could a bus leakage happen if there is no bussing going on? Even with a single stereo track outputting through my main monitor outs I can hear the audio coming through my mac speakers, or any speakers attached to the 1/8" jack. Even if the 002R is muted.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Avid

I'm guessing you have video in your session, yes?

If so, what's happening is that the video has muxed audio which is going to play out the Mac outputs. This is a byproduct of Quicktime - it can't direct that muxed audio to any other output, nor can it be muted. You would have to convert that video to a non-muxed format, such as DV.

If that's not the case, please give us more detail about your session, routings, connections, etc. The Help Us Help You thread has further details about what we need to know.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 AM

You know how we always get at least one post a week about some guy wanting his Protools audio to come out of his computer speakers instead of his audio interface outputs? Hmm.. I wonder is this is his solution.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't believe it's the Quicktime issue. Though I was very excited about the possibility as it did make a lot of sense. I made a test session with one stereo track in it. I played back a BG file of some ambience and it still comes out of the mac speakers. The session was run from my internal to see if anything changed and it did not.

I deleted all the prefs and rebuilt the data bases on the drives.
All optimization suggestions have been done.

Here is all the info I can think to give.

Power Mac G5, Dual 2GHZ, 4 Gig Ram, PCI, Gigabit Ethernet, Optical IO
ATI Radeon X800 XT-256mb vRam

Dual LCD Monitor-Each monitor has speakers. Audio out of mac is split with a 3 way splitter. One goes to 002R alt source in. That was unplugged and problem persists. One goes to TV and the other goes to the speakers in my LCD monitors.

Digi 002R & Pro Tools LE 8.0cs3
Waves Diamond Bundle - Native Version 6
Final Cut Studio 2, FCP version 6.0.6
Absynth 4.0.5.003
I have an iSight camera. It is firewire 400. It is off. It is plugged into a 3 port Firewire 400 PCI card. I believe it was a Belkin. My playback drives are plugged into the native mac 400 ports. The PCI card is just for the iSight, connecting transfer drives and my Canopus ADC110 which I used to send Pro Tools video out firewire to my tv.

The 002R is on a dedicated 400 port.
My playback drive is a 500 gig Western Digital My Book Studio Edition. The My Book drive is chainedd via Firewire 800 through a Lacie 500 gig drive which is connected to the system via FW 800.

I have other drives, FW 400 and USB that are not playback drives they are libraries which I copy from if I need fx. They are not Record enabled.

Sometimes I run FCP or Absynth in the background. Sometimes I don't.
The Pro Tools audio comes out of the mac speakers either way.

Unfortunately I can't say when this started.

Again, this is not stopping my progress. I am just fascinated by the problem. I appreciate all your thoughts and ideas.

I guess I could go start up from a Tiger volume and see if it is happening in Pro Tools 7. I will do that and report back. For now I gotta get back to work. :)
Old 07-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Avid

What are the outputs of your 002 connected to?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinessCrowley View Post
What is a CA glitche? Could a bus leakage happen if there is no bussing going on? Even with a single stereo track outputting through my main monitor outs I can hear the audio coming through my mac speakers, or any speakers attached to the 1/8" jack. Even if the 002R is muted.
CA = Core Audio
glitch = bug, misbehaving program (think HAL in 2001)
ground bus = the the physical electrical connection that all electronics must have to earth

What I think is happening is that the audio is going from your 002 to your Mac via ether the ground wire of the firewire or power cable, then your Mac is dumping it to it's internal speaker

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 AM

The 002R outs go to KRK V8 monitors. My power conditioners have grounding alerts on them and they all say that they are grounded. Would the audio be so full and robust if it was a grounding issue. It doesn't sound like audio that is bleeding through from somewhere it sounds like a proper output. I also deleted my Core Audio prefs with all my digi prefs.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Avid

Something is definitely very strange here. Pro Tools audio, obviously, should NOT be coming out your Macs outputs.

I've asked all the questions that I can think of that would possibly cause this. There must be something we're overlooking.

Any chance you have access to a video camera and could do a short video showing us your setup, what you're hearing, the session as it's playing back, etc?