Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 07-05-2021, 12:41 PM

Default 2 MTRX Studios

This is for Avid. Jeff, you posted this on another thread (below) and I wanted to create a thread of it's own...

My question is have you seen this in action or has it been officially confirmed that this is possible? Also, would you have to synch both units together or would the Dante take care of that? And finally, in this configuration, can you access both HDX card's DSP with the Hybrid engine?

Thanks

"Yes, it is possible to deploy a dual MTRX Studio system connected to 2 HDX cards. Each HDX card would be fully connected to dual 32-channel DigiLink ports per box.

HDX A (1,2) to MTRX ST A (1,2)
HDX B (1,2) to MTRX ST B (1.2)

This gives you the ability to stream a full 128 channels from Pro Tools into the dual MTRX Studio units. From there, you would patch 64 channels of Dante on each MTRX Studio.

MTRX ST A: Source (Input) = DigiLink, Destination (Output) = Dante: 1-64
MTRX ST B: Source (Input) = DigiLink, Destination (Output) = Dante: 1-64

These would then be patched in Dante Controller 1-128 input a Focusrite PCIeR card attached to a dedicated RMU system running DAMS such as a 2018 Mac Mini. From there, you would patch out of the PCIeR into MTRX ST A which would be your primary monitor which could run up to a tuned 9.1.6 Atmos setup.

It's also possible (though not sure if Dolby signs off on it) to run the 2 HDX + PCIeR inside of a more capable computer like a 7,1 and repeat the exact same Dante and DADman patches.

Hope this helps.

Jeff"
Old 07-07-2021, 09:46 AM

Default Re: 2 MTRX Studios

May I add two questions, please.

@Jeff,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
These would then be patched in Dante Controller 1-128 input a Focusrite PCIeR card attached to a dedicated RMU system running DAMS such as a 2018 Mac Mini. From there, you would patch out of the PCIeR into MTRX ST A which would be your primary monitor which could run up to a tuned 9.1.6 Atmos setup.
1. When you say "patch out of the PCIeR into MTRX ST A" do you mean using 128(in)x128(out) (2x 64x64) or 128-16 (=112ch->DAMS and 16ch->back into MTRXSt) or using the secondary port? (I seem to have a problem to understand these different definitions of a 'channel'*.)

2. Does HDX 1 support two MTRX Studios, each connected via DigiLink 1 and 2? Can I do a similar but downsized setup with one card connected to two MSts (e.g., MSt A for MON and MSt B for recording?) Or is a 1 card/1 MSt scheme mandatory? (Would be great to know before I order a HDX TB MTRXSt Bundle which supports only 1 HDX.)

It would be absolutely awesome if you could confirm these with a profound test, please.

(*) For example, Dante Virtual Soundcard manual speaks of 64 channels, followed by a table denoting 64x64.

Last edited by theAlien; 07-07-2021 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:52 AM

Not to speak for Jeff here but his initial suggestion described above in Goombot's post is utilizing the DAMS on a separate machine (Mac Mini). That means that to monitor the output of the DAMS you'd need to send the output of the DAMS back to a MTRX Studio to hear what's being encoded in Dolby's software. Think of this as monitoring as a "post tape" environment.

And, yes, you can connect 2 MTRX Studios to 1 HDX card or HD Native card for that matter. But by doing so you're just limiting the number of channels of each interface can send/receive with ProTools via Digilink as Avid cards are limited to 64 channels of I/O total per card. So, MTRX Studio A would support 32 channels on one Digilink connector with MTX Studio B allowing 32 channels of audio via Digilink on the other Digilink port. So, despite the fact that the interfaces can support more channels, by utilizing only 1 HDX card you can only get 64 channels in and out of Pro Tools. Goombot's inquiry allows for passing 128 channels in and out of Pro Tools because that scenario is utilizing two HDX cards.

-Chris
• Avid Dock,
Artist Series Mix & iPad 7th gen & EuCon 2022.9
• DADman/Eucon monitoring
• BSS (DAN + 100), QSC DCA 1644, JBL 7 Series
• MTRX Studio // 7.1 (7.1.4 pending)

www.quesound.com
Old 07-07-2021, 10:58 AM

Wouldn't it just be easier if Avid supported 128x128 using the Audinates PCIe card. Avid could even put their name on it like SSL, Focusrite and Yamaha did!

The Digilink highway is becoming a setback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Avid Dante PCIe-R card we wish.jpg (91.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-07-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewk View Post
Not to speak for Jeff here but his initial suggestion described above in Goombot's post is utilizing the DAMS on a separate machine (Mac Mini). That means that to monitor the output of the DAMS you'd need to send the output of the DAMS back to a MTRX Studio to hear what's being encoded in Dolby's software. Think of this as monitoring as a "post tape" environment.

And, yes, you can connect 2 MTRX Studios to 1 HDX card or HD Native card for that matter. But by doing so you're just limiting the number of channels of each interface can send/receive with ProTools via Digilink as Avid cards are limited to 64 channels of I/O total per card. So, MTRX Studio A would support 32 channels on one Digilink connector with MTX Studio B allowing 32 channels of audio via Digilink on the other Digilink port. So, despite the fact that the interfaces can support more channels, by utilizing only 1 HDX card you can only get 64 channels in and out of Pro Tools. Goombot's inquiry allows for passing 128 channels in and out of Pro Tools because that scenario is utilizing two HDX cards.

-Chris
Thanks a lot, Chris.

I have understood the concept. What I wanted to know is when 128ch already maxes out the bandwidth, how do I patch the 16chs back over Dante? The answer is probably lying in my misunderstanding of the various definitions of a 'channel.' Some use mono, some use stereo, some say 64 I/O but mean 32in/32out while others simplify it for 64in/64out etc.

Re: 2 MTRXSts. I would need 1 for Atmos (16 outs) and 1 for console/summing (16 ins/16 outs.) Actually MTRX would be more sane, but I don't have the money right now If I used 1 MSt + <enter name here> via ADAT/Dante, I would have to look for a device that has similar specs to DAD, which in turn is min. 5K.

Edit: I asked bc PT Reference Guide explicitly states: 1 MTRXSt per single system (while 12 MTRX are supported via HDX 3.)

Last edited by theAlien; 07-07-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neve2254e View Post
Wouldn't it just be easier if Avid supported 128x128 using the Audinates PCIe card. Avid could even put their name on it like SSL, Focusrite and Yamaha did!

The Digilink highway is becoming a setback.
Yes.
Yes it would.

I basically made this point on last week's Production Expert Podcast:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...st-impressions
Old 07-07-2021, 12:09 PM

Sure thing.

If a device says 64 i/o that usually refers to the total number of channels in and out. If they're referencing Dante i/o specifically then that should mean the total number of Dante channels it can handle. Dante routing is a 1 to 1 matrix no matter how one might use channel width to describe their i/o.

I think you're understanding the definition of channel correctly. Whether Dante or Dolby Atmos audio passes over a channel in mono. Nothing new there. But just like any other setup you maximize your priorities in your routing. Using Dante with DAMS is no different. In all likelihood you probably wouldn't max out your Dante usage in BOTH directions 100% of the time. While you can send up to 128 channels you would only need to route back the channels needed for monitoring. First priority would be the main outputs of the RMU. The MTRX Studio has 16 channels of analog output which means it can handle up to 9.1.6 right out of the box. This would likely be your first 16 channels of Dante coming back from the RMU. To follow, you might opt to configure live re-renders in the RMU so you can monitor the fold downs (7.1, 5.1, 2.0, etc.) while you're mixing. That would be another 16 (8+6+2). You can expand your list of live re-renders beyond that, but again, it comes down to prioritizing what you would want to hear in real time. With this config you're only looking at 32 channels of Dante coming back from the RMU for output via the MTRX Studio. So while you're fully populating the information being sent to the RMU with 128 channels you'd still have 96 channels remaining in the example above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAlien View Post
Thanks a lot, Chris.

I have understood the concept. What I wanted to know is when 128ch already maxes out the bandwidth, how do I patch the 16chs back over Dante? The answer is probably lying in my misunderstanding of the various definitions of a 'channel.' Some use mono, some use stereo, some say 64 I/O but mean 32in/32out while others simplify it for 64in/64out etc.

Re: 2 MTRXSts. I would need 1 for Atmos (16 outs) and 1 for console/summing (16 ins/16 outs.) Actually MTRX would be more sane, but I don't have the money right now If I used 1 MSt + <enter name here> via ADAT/Dante, I would have to look for a device that has similar specs to DAD, which in turn is min. 5K.

Edit: I asked bc PT Reference Guide explicitly states: 1 MTRXSt per single system (while 12 MTRX are supported via HDX 3.)
• Avid Dock,

www.quesound.com
Old 07-07-2021, 12:33 PM

@bewk, Thanks for your explanation.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:54 PM

Glad to help. It's a lot to wrap your head around. And it's much harder to work out the details without the gear right in front of you. Pro Tools Expert has a series of tutorials with some insightful walkthroughs that might help if you haven't seen those yet. They're catered to using DAPS on the same rig but the concepts are universal with regards to how things get in and out of the RMU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAlien View Post
@bewk, Thanks for your explanation.
• Avid Dock,

www.quesound.com

Last edited by bewk; 07-08-2021 at 06:43 AM.