Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2003, 02:14 PM

Default Re: OT: So, what do you think about the iTunes Music Store?

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Guerrero:
Hey guys, I can only hear the streams, not buy. But I was wondering if the quality of the downloaded AAC is better or the same as the one of the 30 secs demo streams... cause so far, the streams have very good quality. Can any of you guys that have bought the albums answer that? Thanks!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Steve said the streams were also 128kb/secAAC as well.
So they should be the same, unless the stream is somehow other optimized.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:45 PM

Quote:
he audio is encoded in MP4 ACC format, which is far less "lossy" than mp3. I just bought Venus Hum's new album from the iTunes store, and the expirience was flawless. The encoded files do rival redbook audio tracks. John, you should try the service before critisizing it. Don't let your assumptions live your life.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Try to realise I've already done countless experiments comparing various bitdepths of mp3 and AAC audio ever since quicktime came out and I KNOW AAC is extremely high quality.

The thing I'm nit picking at is that something being mastered to Uncompressed 44.1Khz, 16bit stereo audio is bound to be higher quality, even if they sound the same than something that's been compressed to a 10th of the size with AAC.

Surely that was obvious from the wording ?

I would try the service, it sounds excellent to me, if 3 things changed.

1. I trusted my impulsive self enough to have a credit card.

2. The Service was available in the UK.

3. I had a mac from this decade that could run OS X reasonably so iTune 4 would work with it.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:15 PM

I'd spend a lot of money in there if they had more out of print stuff that I only have on vinyl.

What I'd give to get my hands on "Goovers Paradise" by Doug Sahm. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 07:39 PM

Hello. I'll have to weigh in here and agree with John H. Yes AAC sounds better than MP3, but that is not saying much. It however has a long way to go to match a CD. Try music with high dynamic range, dense harmonic and melodic content. Classical music, traditional jazz. Maybe some stuff with quality lower end like traditional reggae or some thumping hip hop. The breakdown operatic section of Bohemian Rhapsody. Hell even try a frequency sweep from 50 Hz all the way up to 10 Khz. I have tried all those on AAC. Long way to go to match CD. Better than MP3 however. It seems to be OK for most people here. I do have to say in the interest of fairness that I have NEVER, EVER liked MP3. I always thought it was crap. So while AAC is better, it is not CD quality.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Watch the nic video on the apple site, it's the funniest thing to come from apple since the ellen feiss switch ad
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, it is funny in a sad kind of way! Please tell me that guy is there to appeal to Wintel users!!! The least I have in common with "Nic", the better [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2003, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John H:

Apple's songs are encoded at 128Kbps, which Jobs claimed "rivals CD quality". In fact, he said, it's better than CD quality, since Apple has in many cases used original masters to create is song library, rather than ripping a stack of CDs.

Yeah right!!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The audio is encoded in MP4 ACC format, which is far less "lossy" than mp3. I just bought Venus Hum's new album from the iTunes store, and the expirience was flawless. The encoded files do rival redbook audio tracks. John, you should try the service before critisizing it. Don't let your assumptions live your life.

-Kevin

http://qchapter.com/
Old 04-30-2003, 08:56 AM

i purchased 8 songs by rap god rakim this morning before heading out. flawless. burned them to cd, jumped in my whip and enjoyed the tunes on my way to the office. i love the service. my only question/concern is are the artists getting royalties/kick backs from this, or is all the money going to the labels? any info on this yet?
Old 04-30-2003, 08:58 AM

the music store is wicked cool! i would like to see some indie labels added to the site. they have lots to choose from, but most of the artists i searched for were'nt in there. some were pretty obscure (but still well known). like Autechure & Trans Am. but some were very popular & distributed on major labels. like ******** Surfers & Beastie Boys. the prices are nice. most albums i saw were $9.99 there were a few that cost 14.99. but that still is cheaper than most record stores. the average price for CD's around my way (Boston,MA) is $17+.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:56 AM

You allforgot the best feature about the Music Store: Go into iTunes preferences, click "Music Store" and click "Turn Off Store"

I'm absolutely amazed - and sorta proud - that apple not only created a great new way to buy music, but also for gave people like me - who don't give a damn about the major label tripe their pushing and despise the whole marketing push into my software stuff - the ability to turn the advertising off.

So, the service is awesome, the ability to opt-out of the being marketed to is awesome, and as soon as they get a selection of music I actually care about, I'll happily quit paying Emusic (which is actually a whole lot cheaper and well worth checking out if you haven't already).

I'm a happy guy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Reason 2.5
ProTools LE 6.1
Digi001
Old 04-30-2003, 09:36 PM

Actually, the most interesting idea I can see from ITUNES4, is the wide open possibility for any person who wants to share music.....its now possible to create a playlist.....and beam it to the world. Streaming is really cool! I have ripped most of my songs mp3 and listen to them in ITUNES4....but now.....anyone....in the world soon....will also have that option. COOL!

Same feeling I had when I was rockin
with dudes over the Rocket from all over.....

If I was only 16 again....sigh
its 12:30 in the morning ...
are you going to bed?
G4 733 Ti 1Ghz 001 Mbox LE6.4 OSX 10.3.8 QT 6.9 XP80 XV2020 Midiman 2 POD2 Logic 6.43